Saturday, October 18, 2014

Wedding Favor Preparations a.k.a. the reason some people think I'm crazy :)

Are you impressed?  I blogged last week and I'm blogging again this week.  Think I can go three for three?  You'll just have to check back next week and see.  Let's talk wedding favors a.k.a. the reason some people thought I was crazy.  My fiancé and I were having a hard time trying to decide what to do for wedding favors.  We wanted to do something people would like or actually use, but we didn't want to spend a fortune.  My fiancé liked the idea of having his face on a piece of chocolate--I was like you mean on the wrapper and he said no, on the actual chocolate.  I couldn't so much find that, but it was an "interesting" idea. 
I bake a lot so I thought what if I baked something for a favor?  But it would have to be something I could freeze because I didn't want to be baking for possibly 200 people two days before the wedding.  After some pondering, I decided to make mini loaves of bread.  I made:  apple, banana, blueberry, cinnamon, pumpkin, and zucchini.  Pumpkin made the most in one batch so I made a few more pumpkins than other flavors, but otherwise, it was about 22-30 loaves of each flavor. I made a bunch 4th of July weekend (you know because what else would you do in a kitchen without air conditioning on a 90 degree day, but stand in front of an oven set at 350 degrees for 4 hours) and made more over the next few weeks.  Often times I doubled the recipe and I could get 10-16 loaves out of a batch.  The bad thing about baking ahead of time was that I was running out of room.  I had company one night and forgot to warn them not to open the freezer--they were greeted by a mountain of bread and I was greeted by a look of shock and comments like, what the heck.  It was a good conversation piece.  And eventually, I did run out of room in the freezer--I needed to save a little from for actual food so I had to bring 20 loaves to my parents' freezer--in the picture you can't see it, but freezer door was filled too.




Two days before the wedding, when I emptied the freezer, my fiancé was like, wow, our freezer looks huge now that it's so empty.  Anyway, since my fiancé did want chocolate and we couldn't find chocolate he could put his face on, I ordered mini chocolates and put our picture on the wrapper.  We also bought Hershey Kisses and Peanut butter cups and stickers with our last initial on them so everyone got a mini loaf of bread, 2 Hershey kisses, 2 peanut butter cups, and one other mini chocolate.  You see baking 175ish loaves of bread was not enough, I had to also make mini chocolates that said thank you and individually wrap all of those (I wrapped and labeled all the bread too), and put the stickers on the kisses, and cups.  We'll save assembling the favors for another blog post.  In the end a few of my friends did think I was crazy, BUT they also said they really enjoyed the favors so I guess sometimes my crazy ideas work out just well thank you. 

No comments: