Thursday, February 9, 2017

Don't Give Me a Candle on Christmas

Hello blog readers!  So per usual, after the holidays work got busy and I slacked on blogging.  I should have time for a few more posts before things get busy again in April.  So over the past few days, I was trying to think what to blog about.  I have a few ideas that were like 2-3 sentences long so I was like, hmm, is that really enough?  Then I was thinking back to the last time I blogged and it was around Christmas so it reminded me of a funny if slightly inappropriate story from Christmas Eve.  We used to go to my in-laws house for Christmas Eve dinner. We'd go to church with them and then have dinner or have dinner then go to church.  The past couple of years my husband's sister has hosted because she recently bought a house and wanted to take over a holiday.  Since this year, Christmas Eve was on a Saturday, no one had to work so she said dinner would be at 3.  There was also a football game on and while football does not really intersted me, I knew the guys would have to plan around that.  So our plan was to get there between 1 and 2.  Now I will admit that my church attendance could be better.  I don't consider myself the most religious person, but I do go from time to time and I always go on Christmas Eve.  I kind of enjoy going on Christmas Eve.  With dinner at 3, we knew we wouldn't make the 4:00 mass and likely not the 6:00 one either.  We have done midnight mass before, but we're old and we didn't really want to be going out at midnight.  It turns out a church nearby offers a 10:00 mass instead of a midnight mass so we decided to do that.  Now I have been to this church quite a few times, but never on Christmas Eve.  So we go and they give us a candle, someone lights it and mass begins.  All I can think is how long to I have to hold this candle?  I am a klutz.  I will burn something or drop it or something.  I have NEVER had to hold a candle at Christmas Eve mass before.  They finally tell us we can extinguish them.  Thank goodness.  Now I can actually pay attention without worrying about burning something.  Church goes on and towards the end they come around and light the candles again.  WHAT?!  So as I'm holding my candle, wax drips onto my finger, burns me, and I mutter a four letter word that rhymes with "hit."  Now I'm pretty sure no one heard me--not even my husband and he was within ear shot, but I said it really softly, but still who swears IN CHURCH ON CHRISTMAS EVE?  I don't even swear that much in non-church life.  I did ask forgiveness for my sins, but I'm pretty sure I didn't score any brownie points with God.  If we go to this church next year, I am not getting a candle.  It's not worth the risk.  :-)

No comments: