Sunday, September 10, 2017

Day 14: Currywurst, Christmas, and Kreuzberg

Do you like the alliteration in the title?  Today began with a lecture on refugees. It mainly focused on refugees in Germany, but there was also information about refugees in other countries as well.  I definitely learned quite a bit.  The lecture ended early so we had some free time.  One of the girls in our group had mentioned two museums she was interested in.  I wasn't expecting to have free time that day so I hadn't really planned anything.  So I joined Darcey on her trip the museum.  Another guy in our group came too.  We started with the communication museum.  It was fun.  It focused on how communication had changed over the years.  There were old telephones, radios, televisions, just to name a few and even a section on old advertisements.  We also met a robot.  We then ventured to the currywurst museum for lunch.  On the way we stopped at a Christmas shop because I wanted to get a Christmas ornament.  We didn't have time to do the museum, but currywurst is one of the "must try" foods in Germany so I figured I'd better give it a try. When in Rome or in this case, When in Berlin...
 I ordered the vegatarian version, but did try a bite of Darcey's regular one.  Both were pretty good.  Then it was back to the hotel because we had to meet our group soon for our afternoon session.  We headed to a museum in Kreuzberg, which was close to our hotel. We had a lecture at the museum and a little time to explore.  Then we had a tour of the Kreuzberg area, which included a stop at a mosque.  I'd never been to a mosque before so that was interesting to see.  During the tour, our guide told us about weddings in the area and had us all participate in a traditional wedding dance right outside in the neighborhood.  I'm sure we looked strange to anyone passing by, but it was fun in a quirky way too.  Dinner that night was Turkish food. I think that may have been the first time I ever had Turkish food.  It was pretty good.        




No comments: