Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Inspection Time

After what happened last time, we were too nervous to seriously look at houses until the inspection on our place was over; however, that being said, on our way out of town for an overnight trip that weekend, we did decide to stop at an open house down the street.  It was kind of nice to be out looking at houses again since we hadn't looked at any since the offer fell through in December.  We had a nice mini trip and came home to the siding contractor fixing a section of siding that needed it just in time for the inspection later that day. Minutes before the inspection the stove stopped working--talk about timing, but the inspector fixed it, he thinks something got tripped when they were banging new siding into that exterior wall where the stove is located.  I called my realtor and begged her not to let the sale fall through over an oven--I'll buy a new oven if needed, I promised!  Turned out to be a non-issue.  After the inspection, my realtor called me and explained a couple of concerns with our home.  She and I were both upset the original person who offered on our place had not told us this back in November after his inspection because I could have fixed everything back in November.  The biggest concern involved some seals being broken in some windows--I thought I just did a bad job cleaning them, but it turned out they needed some glass to be replaced and there was potentially mold in one spot in the crawlspace.  I freaked about that thinking it was going to cost tens of thousands of dollars to fix (thank you internet).  There were also some suggested electrical upgrades.  So I started reaching out to mold mitigation companies, contacted my electrician, and contacted someone about the windows.  Long story not so long, the mold spot was small (thank you God!) and it was going to cost $800-$1000 to fix depending who I used.  The electric was going to be around $500-$700.  The windows were the most expensive at over $1000, but all was still doable--and after thinking I was going to have to spend THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of dollars on mold, none of that seemed bad anymore.  I started making plans to fix things (good thing I had a few days off) when my realtor called and said the buyer was pulling his offer because of all the needed repairs.  She suggested we take the home off the market for 30 days, fix everything, get the kitchen repainted, and put the home back on the market in 30 days.  I was devastated, but I knew we couldn't sell a home with mold and it was going to be a couple of weeks before everyone could come out and fix everything.  She emailed me a form to sign.  I didn't have the heart to call my husband at work and ruin his day so I didn't sign the form right away.  I figured we could do it after work.  A little while later my realtor called again and said the other buyer--remember we had two offers--increased their offer and was interested in making a new offer.  I told her that was great, but no one was going to want to buy a house with mold in it--that being said, remember I had all ready started contacting people about mold and the estimate was not as bad as I feared.  Even my realtor was shocked.  She thought if we told them I was all ready working on the mold and glass and had things in writing, they might actually consider it. I gave her permission to share my copy of the inspection report and my estimates.  And the waiting began...

No comments: