Saturday, October 15, 2016

Off to Philadelphia

My husband and I somewhat randomly decided to go to Philadelphia for Columbus Day weekend.  I'd never been there before and he hadn't been since he was a kid.  The day before was a bit hectic--I'd planned to leave work close to on time, but ended up staying two hours late (and still bringing work home grr), hitting every red light and some traffic on the way home and having to wolf down dinner before my ballet class.  For various reasons, which I will not get into right now, I have a love hate relationship with my ballet class this year.  I really didn't want to go to ballet that night since I had so much to do--like finish packing, but I ended up being glad I went as it was a good class that night.  After class, I managed to finish the work I brought home, clean the house up a bit, pack, and eventually went to bed.  I was planning to go straight from work to the airport shuttle the next day so I got up a few minutes early (after staying up too late) to make sure everything was good to go.  And off I went--on time to walk laps with a co-worker before work when I remembered my lunch was in the fridge.  Normally, I would have just said forget it, I can get a snack at work, but since I had no idea what time I'd be having dinner that night, I decided to turn around and go back home to get my lunch.  Back on the road again and off to work, I only ended up being able to walk laps for 20 minutes, but I guess it was better than nothing.  When I got to work, I remembered I forgot my ipod and though I could certainly live without it for the weekend, I really wanted it for the plane ride.  Thankfully, the planets somehow aligned correctly at work and I left at a reasonable hour--a Columbus Day weekend miracle.  I had enough time to run home and grab my ipod before catching the airport shuttle.  It was cheaper to take it from the park and ride instead of taking it directly from my house so I got there a few minutes early.  The shuttle was waiting and since I was the only one who booked it, we got to leave 15 minutes early.  Amazingly traffic wasn't bad--correction it wasn't bad the way we went it, it was awful going the other way.  I feared it would take hours to get to the airport with all the holiday weekend traffic, but it took under an hour and a half.  My husband met me there a few minutes later.  We got our boarding passes, cleared security, and had time to get a sit down meal since it was only a little after 6:00 and our flight wasn't until 8:05.    Does anyone else wonder about airport prices?  I drink a lot of water so I always a buy a water bottle when I get to the airport since you can't bring it through security, but really, does it have to cost more for a bottle of water at the airport than it costs for a case at home?  (I have a Brita so I rarely buy water any more.)  I'll save my complaints about food prices for a later blog.    Soon it was time to board the plane and off we'd go--or so I thought, but because they were waiting for some data, we got on the plane and sat there for a while. We eventually took off and landed in Philadelphia a short while later.

No comments: