Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I'm Not Moving and as a New Englander It's My Right to Complain

People often say if you don't like the winter, move. Well, it's not really that easy. To just pick up and move now is not practical for me. I'd need a bigger savings acount, a new job, a place to live, you know little things like that. Plus I'd miss my friends too much. I do wonder about these people though. Are they rich? Because when it's -8 degrees outside, my heating bill gets rather high. Do they have people that shovel for them? Or perhaps they enjoy shoveling? And what kind of cars do they drive? Because even if you have 4-wheel drive, which I don't, driving in some of these conditions can be difficult and dangerous. Or maybe they have really tall cars so they can see around the 800 snowbanks they have to see around to get to work. Don't they ever get cold? Perhaps they don't have jobs that occassionally involve standing outside on cold days. Truth be told, I like living in New England, I just hate winter. Actually, I shouldn't say that, I hate the frigid temperatures. I can deal with those 40 degree days. And if I don't have to drive in the snow, I don't hate it as much. It's pretty for the first week or two of winter, but then I'm done. Winter does make me appreciate spring that much more. And on a final note, I believe as a New Englander it is my right to complain about the weather, isn't that what we New Englanders do, especially those of us that never learned how to ski???

2 comments:

jess said...

people complain about the weather basically everywhere. in southern california they are forever whining about things like "it's toooo hoooot.", or "it hasn't rained in 5 weeeeeks." or,"the wild fires burned down my hooooouse." you see? whine, whine, whine.

but i think ESPECIALLY in new england it is not only warranted but part of the culture. and it's not just in the winter that we complain. in the summer we complain about heat waves and humidity. in the spring it rains too much. in the fall it's either indian summer or winter comes rushing in too soon, or it's hot one week, then cold the next.

what i'm saying is, when someone isn't happy about the weather, the other person/people should just nod and agree with them. because i think you would be hard pressed to find someone who walks out into the icy, sub zero rain/temperature of today and says "well... this is JUST lovely!"

Cat said...

So true, but some people get so annoyed if you complain about this weather. I'm sorry, but my toes were frozen after shoveling my deck today and I don't even want to think about how icy the roads might be on the ride in tomorrow...