Sunday, January 23, 2011

Strange Conversations

If you're one of my FB friends, you may have noticed, I've heard some "unpleasant" things this week. But first I must include a disclaimer: If you are one of those people who can't stand when people complain about winter, then I advise you to stop reading this blog, or at least skip to Unpleasant Convo #2. Go ahead, I won't be offended, but don't say I didn't warn you.

Unpleasant Convsersation Starter Number one: I recently heard there's more artic sub-zero weather and snow coming this week. Many people say that if you don't like the weather you should move. Ahh, if only it were that easy. Have you seen the housing economy or the job market lately? Plus truth be told, I like living here, well, 9-10 months of the year anyway. I have not ruled out becoming a snowbird when I retire. And if I moved I'd miss my friends (and maybe my family hee hee). Plus, I (mostly) like fall and spring, and I love summer. I kid you not, give me one of those 95 degree days any time over what we're having right now, just remind me to put on sunscreen and a hat. So I'm not going to complain about how for what I paid for my heating bill, I could fly someplace warm, or that I hate driving in the snow, or standing outside in sub-zero temperatures for recess duty because you've heard all that. Instead I'm going to ask, where the heck are the plows going to put the snow? Although they do a decent job where I live, if we get as much snow as they're saying, there is no more room for the snow. It's a struggle to get out of the driveway without hitting a snowbank now and if we've really got another foot coming, I don't know where they'll put the snow. I tried to shovel my driveway Friday afternoon and could barely lift the snow as high as the snowbank. This is not because I'm a lazy fool and I consider myself to be average height, but those snowbanks are getting taller than me. I'm also wondering if I should get a roof rake or whatever they're called, but the snowbanks are so high, I'm not sure I could get through them to get to the roof. I'm hoping the fact that none of my neighbors have shoveled/raked/whatever their roofs means the roofs can handle this snow. And you all ready know I HATE being cold so I'll spare you my thoughts on the upcoming temperatures or the fact that I fear I'll be going to school year round since we've had three snow days in two weeks and it looks like one more on the way.

Unpleasant Convo #2: "You're at that age where you should..." WHAT?! As you may remember I had a mini-crisis about turning 30, but I got through it and truthfully, I don't feel any different than I did in my 20's. I'd like to think I'm wiser now, but that's a crock of poo. Okay, maybe a little, I do know more about short sales than I ever wanted. So yes, when my doctor simply told me to take a daily vitamin, she wasn't really trying to tell me I was old, but instead of hearing take your vitamins, I heard "you're getting old."

Unpleasant Convo #3: "Are you pregnant?" Now this was asked in a joking manner (I think), but just because I didn't drink at a social event the other night, I guess I'm "at that age" where people assume it's because you're pregnant. No, I am not pregnant and no, I'm not a recovering alcoholic (apparently another assumption). I just wasn't supposed to drink before I had some lab work done. A friend of mine recently said no one should ask a woman if she's pregnant unless he/she can see the baby's head crowning. Sounds like good advice to me.

I wish you all a good week. In the mean time stay warm, take your vitamins, and leave the non-drinkers to not drink in peace. :) Two more months 'til Spring!

1 comment:

Snow Scoop said...

We have free shipping on roof rakes. See www.silverbear.biz