Friday, July 22, 2011

Yeah, I Know It's Hot, but It's Better Than Being Cold

Given where I live, I suppose I must do the obligatory blog complaining about the heat. I don't really want to complain though (yes, you read that correctly, the queen of complaining is refraining). Yes, I know it's hot. If I couldn't tell by stepping outside or looking at the thermometer, it's on every news station, newspaper, etc and it seems to be the "hot" topic of conversation this week among nearly everyone I've talked to. I get that it can be dangerous as people can get heat stroke, dehydrated, etc, but I wonder, what do the people in hotter parts of the country or in other parts of the world do (i.e. near the equator)? Do they complain about the heat all the time or is it just so normal that there's nothing to say. My friend was in Iraq years ago (he's in the Air Force) and it was well over 100 nearly everyday he was there. And that was apparently fairly normal for them. Now I will admit, I confess I too have made some adjustments due to the heat. I did not go to the gym or walk today because of the heat (though I did go yesterday). Instead I did an exercise DVD at home in front of the fan, which kicked my butt. A couple of days ago, after work, I eventually got annoyed with the heat and went upstairs to the one air-conditioned room in my house and was incredibly lazy. I parked myself on the bed and watched TV for probably longer than I should have. Some friends are coming over for dinner tomorrow night and they asked if we could go out instead of eating here because they said it would be too hot too cook as I have no a.c. in the kitchen. My car thermometer said it was 103 when I was running errands today, I can't tell you the last time it said 103. It's likely it's happened before, but I don't remember. Additionally, I spent most of last summer working on the new home and was only usually out earlyish in the morning and late at night, when it wouln't typically be 103 so if it was that hot then, I didn't really notice (I'm sure there's a good chance that it was about that hot when I was in AZ last summer, but I wasn't in my car then). So yeah, it's not, but you know what? I can park myself in front of my fan or go upstairs to my bedroom and put the A.C. on (which is nice as my last home did not have A.C. in the bedroom and it made for some hot nights). I have access to pools here or I could go bug my parents and use their pool. So I will take this ANYday over the cold. Even with a.c, my electric bill is MUCH lower than in the winter (I have electric heat and let's just say that's pricey!). I don't have a.c. downstairs, but with my two fans going, it's comfortable enough down here. This place is decent in the summer, but for part of the winter, it was rough.. I think it's not well-insulated or something. Also, earlier in the year, my kitchen heat was not working well at all. Thankfully, Mr. C fixed it for me so I was able to stop wearing a winter coat in the kitchen. I like cold drinks so if I'm hot, I just grab a big ol' glass of water. I don't like most hot drinks so even if I'm cold, I'm not likely to go get a cup of coffee, esp as I don't have a coffee maker. There is no snow in the summer, no ice to worry about slipping on, and no piling on layers of clothes to prevent frostbite, and no cringing if you wake up in the middle of the night and have to go to the cold bathroom because you turn the heat down at night to save $. So do I want it to be 103 every day? No, of course not, but given a choice, I will gladly take this over winter. So if summer wants to last 'til say November, I'm cool with that. :) I will add one more confession, usually there is no a.c. where I work in the summer, but this year, there is. I confess I may not be so okay with the heat if I didn't have a.c. at work. So I'll take the heat, but if you work outside or in front of an oven or something, you go ahead and complain, you are entitled to. So there's the obligatory heat blog.

No comments: