Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Bathing Suit Shopping=BLAH

I'll warn you now, this blog is about, bathing suits, blah.  When I was in elementary school, my parents bought a pool.  I was forced to take swimming lessons (which I did not enjoy, but was later glad to have taken) and then in the summer I spent many days in our pool or at the pool at my best friend's house.  Since I was often in the pool, I usually had at least two bathing suits each year.  Then I got older, got a summer job and spent less time in the pool and bathing suit shopping became depressing.  I used to like to shop, but there is nothing enjoyable about buying a bathing suit, or more specifically trying on a bathing suit and trying to find one you like/tolerate/are willing to wear.  A few years ago, I found a decent bathing suit at of all places, Target.  It fit, it works, life is peachy and I haven't shopped for a bathing suit in a few years (Thank goodness).  One bathing suit was just fine as I don't go in the pool that often any more (not because I don't like it, but it either means taking a trip to my parents' house or using the community one here and since I don't know a ton of people here, I usually only go when one of the neighbors I know is heading down, and our schedules don't always match).  Anyway, last year, I only went in a pool a couple of times and only went to the beach about four times so one bathing suit was plenty.  And truth be told, since I burn so easily it's not like my bathing suit gets a ton of exposure, it's usually worn under a t-shirt, shorts, etc in conjunction with a hat and lots of sunscreen and yet, I still sometimes get burned.  I once got burned in a parking lot after work.  I was talking to a co-worker after work one day in July for a while and the next day, people asked Cat, did you go to the beach yesterday?  My reply, "No, I got this talking to Erika in the parking lot after work yesterday."  There reply:  (A shocked look, a jaw drop and something  along the lines of Are you serious?!) Later that month when a bunch of us decided to go out to lunch one of my co-workers said we could NOT eat outside as she feared I would get a burn.  It's become a bit of a joke now.  Erika and I decided if we ever wanted to chat after work again, we should do it in the shade or at a restaurant/bar/anyplace that does not burn you.   But back to bathing suits...Well low and behold this year, I have plans to be at a beach for a couple of days in a row, which got me thinking, perhaps I need a second bathing suit, not because I can't wear the same thing twice, but because putting on a wet bathing suit is no fun.  So began the depressing task of looking for a bathing suit.  I was shopping with some friends earlier in the week and we peeked in a bathing suit store (like that's all they sell) thinking good place to start.  Well, they had some tankinis that were $68 a piece.  $68 for ONE piece.  So you still have to spend another $68 to buy the second piece because I'm not one of those people that walks around bottomless or topless.  Now, I usually get one pieces, but someone told me the tankini is good because it still covers anything--trust me, even if I lost 50 pounds, I doubt you'd see me in a bikini.  So then I checked the one pieces, but those were not much cheaper.  After seeing all the price tags, I nearly ran out of the store.  Later, I went to another store alone, that had lots of bathing suits on sale, but sadly, the only ones I liked were not in my size.  BLAH!  So then it was off to yet another store and after trying on way too many suits and whining to myself way too much about the price, I finally bought one.  So now I have two bathing suits and hope to not need to go through that process for many more years.  I'd much rather shop for shoes or books or purses or groceries or pretty much anything other than bathing suits. Wow I really just wrote a blog about bathing suits.  Sorry to make you suffer through that...

1 comment:

jess said...

i hear you. I HAAAAAAAAAAAATE bathing suit shopping. i was lucky enough to find one for like, 20$ at tj maxx last year, and i plan on wearing it until it falls apart. which is going to be a long time because i hardly ever go swimming/to the beach. :P