Sunday, September 9, 2012

Puffins (Before and After)

So on Day 2 of the Iceland trip, it rained, a lot.  We did a lot that day, but I won't make you read through everything in one sitting.  We did the South Coast tour that day, which was fun, despite the rain.  We drove by what they call "moon craters" (apparently, because that's what they look like).  Our first stop was at a little plaza that in addition to shops, a post office, tourist info spot, and a bakery, housed a model of a house that had survived an earthquake and I know I'm going to get this wrong, but a spot where the continental plates meet or something. 
After that, since we were after all in Iceland, it was off to a waterfall.  Don't get me wrong, the waterfalls were cool, but now looking back on the trip, I'm reminded that we saw a lot of waterfalls.  I had to write them down so I didn't forget which one was which.  Anyway, this particular waterfall was pretty cool because you could walk behind it.  It was also a little scary because it was so slippery.  Between the mist from the waterfall and the rain, well, let's just say I was glad I wasn't wearing jeans.  Below it a pic taken when I was standing behind the waterfall.
And of course I needed a pic in front of the waterfall.  Aren't you glad I'm not posting all 500 pictures from the trip? 
  
 
Okay so on to the puffins.  The girl I went to Iceland with (a friend from work) really wanted to see puffins.  That was one of the things she was most excited about doing in Iceland.  In fact part of the reason we went to the Arctic Circle on our trip (which I'm sure will be mentioned in a future blog) was to see puffins.  Well, at one of our stops on the South Coast tour we got to see puffins.  Yay, my friend was happy!  :-)  The puffins were cute and though they didn't get too close, it was fun to see them.  Our tour guide had binoculars so people could check them out.  I'm not really a bird person, but I'll admit I liked the puffins.  You might need a magnifying glass to see them in this picture, but I assure you, they're there. 
Anyway, fast forward to much later that night and we are at dinner talking to our waiter about our South Coast tour.  My friend mentions puffins and our waiter asks if we want to try some.  What?!  You want us to eat a puffin?  I suppose I shouldn't get all worked up about this because like many other people I know, I eat chicken once a week and that's a bird too.  My friend said no, that was okay, we didn't need to try it, BUT the waiter brought us some, not a whole one (thank goodness), just a few small pieces to try.  Please forgive us and don't hate us, but we each tried a small bite. No, it didn't taste like chicken.  It wasn't horrible, but I wouldn't say I liked it either. 
 
So there  ya' go, there's half of day two.  And I finally threw in some pics.  :-) 
 

No comments: