Thursday, March 8, 2018

DeCluttering The Decorations


If you’ve ever been to my house around any holiday, you know I like to decorate.  I blame this on my mother.  She decorated for every holiday and I’ve inherited some of that from her.  I decorate for:  Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day, Easter, and I have a couple of 4th of July decorations. I know many people do not decorate for Thanksgiving and I only have a few things for that one.  The same can be said of Valentine’s Day.  I feel justified in my St. Patrick’s Day decorating because I host two St. Patrick’s Day parties every year (one for some friends and one for family) so I "need" the house to look festive.  I do have quite a few Christmas decorations, but I think it seems like a lot because I have a small house.  When we get a bigger house, if I do not buy any (too many) more decorations I think it will be better.  Also, I love Christmas and I love decorating for Christmas.  So some of my decorations I’ve had for ages.  And some are more recent.  Many I bought for myself, but a good amount were gifts.  Unless something broke (and even then sometimes) I kept all my decorations, even the ones I didn’t like.  Finally, this year, I gave myself permission to get rid of stuff.  That decoration that was cute in college isn’t really me anymore, buh-bye.  That random teddy bear decoration that you don’t even remember who gave it to you, can go to the donation box.  No one is going to be offended. As they say in Frozen, “Let it Go.”  And so I did.  I mean I’m sure my husband would tell you I have too many decorations (I actually got rid of one he gave me), but I’ve made progress.  One donation box of decorations, off you go, bring holiday spirit to someone, please.    

No comments: