Friday, March 2, 2018

A Little Decluttering

In an ideal world my husband and I will put our home on the market in the next year, sell it, and move from our condo to buy a three bedroom 1 1/2 bathroom house in a nice neighborhood that we can afford (and doesn't need much work because I am not handy.  He is handier than I am, but collectively we're not that handy).  Whether or not this will actually happen is up to:  God, the banks, the housing market, no unexpected crazy expenses (like the time my car transmission died right after I made an offer on a condo), and I guess to some extent us getting our you know what together.  While our wallets aren't quite ready yet, we figured we could at least take some baby steps such as doing a bit of decluttering and maybe doing minor updates.  So awhile back we did some decluttering.  We went through our kitchen cabinets and donated a bunch of stuff.  My husband doesn't drink wine and I do have a glass now and then, but we have way too many wine glasses so we donated those.   We also had way too many coffee mugs for people who NEVER drink coffee.  What about when you have company you ask?  We generally only have company in the afternoon/evening when most people I know don't drink company.  If our friends/family want coffee, we offer to take one of our Dunkin' Donuts gift cards and go down the street and buy them a cup.  Only one person has ever taken us up on this and in factI think she bought her own coffee and wouldn't take our gift card. 
The hubs will bring me flowers a couple of times a year, but we seemed to have quite a few vases for a couple of bunches of flowers.  So anyway, we got rid of a decent amount of stuff.  Also, please never bring me coasters.  I made some once upon a time and when I bought my current home apparently, coasters must have been a popular gift to give because I received a bunch but I had a hard time donating any because they were gifts.  Fast foward a few years and my parents go on vacation and what do they bring me as a souvenir?  Yep, coasters.  Oh, and I think my husband bought some once upon a time too.  I think I may have donated a couple of coasters on our kitchen decluttering.  So anyway, the kitchen was decluttered and I donated a few books so I thought we were off to a good start.  Life went on and then I read The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up.   

No comments: