Thursday, October 14, 2010

Getting Old

I'm struggling with the fact that before this year is over I will hit the big 3-0. Once upon a time I thought you were supposed to have life figured out at 30. When my mother was 30, she was married, owned a house, and had two kids. When I was a kid, I had a plan and by this time in my life I was supposed to be married, have kids, own a house, be well established in my career as a teacher or a lawyer and be writing books on the side, have seen all 50 states, and most European countries. Yes, random I know, but that was the plan. Now I have no desire to have kids right now, maybe some day, but not now so I'm okay with that though I do realize that at some point I'll have to worry about the infamous biological clock. I'm also okay with the fact that I'm not currently married, in fact since I just bought a home, I can't really afford a wedding any time soon. I do have a home though, yay. As for all 50 states, I think I'm only halfway there and re: Europe, I've got a long ways to go, perhaps by the time I'm 40 I'll have reached my traveling goals? I also wanted to see Australia, but thankfully my "plan" didn't have an age set for that. I still feel like I'm supposed to feel like more of a grown up. Aren't I supposed to have some life plan? Truth be told, although I can't seem to stay awake as late as I used to, a part of me still feels like I'm a decaded younger. Perhaps I'm having an early mid-life crisis. I was quite depressed about turning 20 and told everyone I was having a 1/5 life crisis (you know if I lived to be 100 then 20 was 1/5 of my life, get it?). I recently heard about a movie called "30 Things to Do Before You're 30." I'm quite intrigued to see the movie and the 30 things I'm supposed to do. So as I continue feeling depressed about the big 3-0 and the fact that I seem to be lacking in the figuring life out department, I bid you good night until the next blog.

3 comments:

jess said...

i know what you mean! i keep saying to robert, shouldn't we feel like adults by now?!
you know what else i do? i'll talk about someone who's like 20 or 21 and say/think "they're our age"... but really THEY ARE TEN YEARS YOUNGER! crap! when did that happen? i feel like just yesterday people who were ten years younger than me WERE TEN!

Natalie said...

Let me tell you something that will make you feel better. Or worse. Or neutral. I was married at 22, had a masters degree at 24, bought a house at 26, bought a dog at 27 and had a baby at 28. There is not a single day ever that I feel like I have my stuff together, that I'm an adult and that I'm doing as well or better as my parents at the same age.

Cat said...

Thanks girls, at least I am not the only one.