Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Going Jersey Shore on The Jersey Boys or something like that

I told several people that I was going to see "The Jersey Boys" on Sunday. The responses I got varied, but two common ones were, along the lines of have fun, that's supposed to be a good show and "Is that anything like Jersey Shore?" Having never seen Jersey Shore, I can't say for certain, but from what little I know about the show, my guess is no. My knowledge of JS is this: someone named Snookie is on it and she has a big poof in her hair and someone named Pauly D (or is it Paulie?) is on it and he may or may not be the DJ. Also, apparently some bar I once went to in Jersey when I was there for a wedding apparently ahd similar attendees to the people on JS. So when my friend once told me that his friend was tempted to go "Jersey Shore" on someone, I had no idea what he meant, but apparently, it meant he was going to punch someone in the face. Fear not, the guy didn't actually punch anyone, he was just mad, we all say things out of anger. I've never punched anyone in the face nor do I think I could, I might break a nail, ha ha ha, no seriously, I'm just not a violent person, I can yell 'til the cows come home, but punch someone no way, I'd be scared of what they'd do to me. However, that being said, I was getting a little Jersey Shore myself about the Jersey Boys. Here's the story...



MC's not big into musicals, but he wanted to see Jersey Boys so I got him tickets for his birthday. He was under no obligation to take me, but since I bought the tix, he asked if I wanted to go and I said yes. Well, the show was Sunday night at 7:30 as in during The Blizzard of 2010. As in the one where every newscaster in this state and at least two of the other nearby states said stay off the roads after 7 and definitely don't drive after 10. As in the Sunday night when the governor and the mayor of the state and city where the show was being held declared a state of emergency and said to stay off the roads unless there's an emergency. Seeing The Jersey Boys is not an emergency, but try telling that to a recording. Now I get that when you buy tickets to shows there are no refunds, but when the government is telling you to stay off the roads, don't you think an exception should be made? Should I really risk my safety to see a show?

I called the theater Sunday morning and they were not open yet, but the recording told me the show was going to run on time and that people should allow themselves plenty of time to get to the theater safely. Well, sure, I could leave now and get there safely, but what about getting home? The show was supposed to end at 10 during the worst of the storm. Additionally, they encouraged people to take public transportation. That's fine, I've taken public transportation many times, but there nearest public transportation to me was at least a half hour away and to get there I had to drive in the snow.



I called the theater again during business hours and could not get a real person no matter how many different options I tried. I even tried the option to speak to a recorder and got no one. So I called the agency where I ordered the tickets and got no answere there either. Called the theater again the recording continued to tell me the show would be running as scheduled. The news continued to tell me to stay off the roads. So in a very unCatlike manner, I sent a not so nice e-mail expressing my anger at how there was a blizzard coming and the mayor, the governor, and the news all said to stay off the roads and that I did not live that close to public transportation and that I did not appreciate them not caring about people's safety. Maybe it was immature, maybe it was rude, maybe they read it and laughed or maybe they read it and thought what a biznitch. I didn't particularly care. Had I been able to get to a real person I would have asked nicely, but I'm sorry what makes you think your show (no matter how good it is and how many great reviews it has gotten) is worth me getting into a car accident to go see it. You think I'm being overly dramatic? Well, maybe a little, but have you ever seen me drive in the snow? Okay so MC would have probably driven, but he can tell you from previous experience that I'm not fun as a passenger in the snow either.



Well, I was angry, but I decided not to go to the show. I did contemplate getting a hotel room so we could go and just stay down there, but that was over $130; I figured I'd rather just lose the money on my ticket. MC has four-wheel drive and no fear of driving in the snow and he lives a lot closer to the theater than I do--public transportation actually goes to his town so he reluctantly decided to go alone. Well, he got about ten minutes down the road and started skidding all over and decided perhaps it wasn't worth getting into an accident to see the show so he decided to turn around.

In the mean time (just over 2 hours before show time), I received an e-mail from the company sponsoring the show stating the show would still go on as scheduled, but if you couldn't make it due to the snow you could mail your tickets in for an exchange or a refund. Yay! So the tickets have been mailed, we'll see what happens, but I'm glad they finally decided seeing their show wasn't worth getting into a car accident. So no, I didn't have to "go Jersey Shore on the Jersey Boys."

No comments: