Monday, August 29, 2011

The 100th Post

I just realized this is my 100th blog post. Yay! I feel like I should write about something significant since it is the big 1-0-0, but I have rarely written anything terribly significant on here so why start now? hee hee. So instead let's do a year in review in the form of a top 10 list. Approximately one year and one month ago, I bought my first home. Approximately a year ago I moved into said home (as you may remember it needed some work before I could move in). Being a homeowner has taught me many things and I'm sure I have many more to learn. So in no significant order, here we go...

10. Paint is expensive--even if you have a coupon and know people.

9. Megan was right, contractors, electricians, plumbers, etc do not always show up when they are supposed to despite you rearranging your schedule for them (but don't you dare be late for them).

8. Roof rakes are a great invention.

7. When you live this close to the woods, like it or not, you're going to be visited by a few spiders, oh, and a few branches are going to fall on your roof and all around your home.

6. Knowing people who can fix things like electric baseboards, garbage disposals, and hot water heaters is amazing. Thank you!

5. I now know what kind of floors I do and do not want in my next home.

4. If you're going to have a leak, it's going to happen on a Sunday night when most plumbers are closed and charge extra to come out., oh, and I think plumbers make more in an hour than I make in a day.

3. Finally having a purple room is great. :)

2. Coming home on a cold day after working for 12 hours and finding you do not have heat is annoying (not to mention FREEZING). Waking up the next day and having no heat or electricity is worse.

1. Owning a home is certainly an expensive adventure, and though I could do without large bills, power outages, and broken things, having one's own space for peace and quiet, dinner parties, game nights, silly decorartions, etc is wonderful. Here's to the next year and the next 100 posts. :)

2 comments:

Natalie said...

My first instinct was to say that I agree with all of them. But on second thought I can't say that. I agree with most of them but will tell you what I can't agree with only because I have no experience with it.
Roof rakes- what in God's name is a roof rake and why?
Spiders- never lived that close to woods.
Purple room- never had one, but I think I would enjoy one.
No heat- wouldn't really be a problem here. No air= deadly. Literally. A woman died here last week because her AC went out.
Everything else- agreed!

Cat said...

A roof rake is a device used to get snow off your roof when it snows forever and you fear your roof is going to collapse because every news station is reporting roof collapses every night. It looks a little bit like a rake with wheels and has a long handle so you can "rake" snow off the roof.
Yikes on that poor woman!