Saturday, August 13, 2011

It Isn't Broken so I'm Not Fixing It

Have you ever heard the (poorly worded) expression, "If it aint broken, don't fix it?" Well, that applies to me right now. I have a phone, an old phone mind you and many of my friends like to constantly make fun of me because the phone is old. Truth be told, I had phone even older than that, that worked just fine, but I finally gave in to peer pressure and upgraded. Here is my thinking, there is NOTHING wrong with my phone. Sure it's a few years old (which I guess makes it antique by phone standards) and perhaps having a real keyboard would be nice (okay, I confess I have considered upgrading to a phone with a keyboard), but otherwise, it works fine. It can make and receive calls and send and receive texts. It even has a calculator, calendar, alarm clock, and camera. It has other things too, but I don't use them. You see people, I am cheap. Okay, not so much cheap as lacking in money (and who isn't these days, well, aside from really rich people I guess). I can't justify getting an iphone and paying an extra $30 a month for internet access when I can get the internet at home and at work. (I would much rather spend my money on traveling). Sure, it would be nice to have it when I'm at a bar or something and everyone around me pulls out their phone and starts looking stuff up on-line or playing Words with Friends, but on the other hand, if I'm out with my friends, I'd like to think I'm there to see them, not play with my phone. I was once on a date and the guy was on his phone every 10 minutes. Seriously?! Am I that boring (okay, I am but that's beside the point)? The date wasn't bad, we even had another one, but really, put the phone down for an hour or two and talk to me while. So for now, I am sticking with my "antique" (and by "antique I mean 4-5 years old) phone.

No comments: