Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Reality Is, It's Not Really Reality, Is it?

You guys, I have a confession. I don't like reality tv shows. I'm sure some of you may now think less of me, but I just can't get into them--though goodness knows I watch some weird things, but not reality shows. MC was over the other night and he wanted to watch "Jersey Shore. " I had to leave the room. I also regularly leave the room when he puts on "Parking Wars," which is ironic, since it's MY house. HE should be leaving the room, or perhaps coming to visit when these shows are NOT on. :-p (I confess I stayed in the room yesterday when he had "Judge Judy" on, oops.) But you guys, I can't watch them. If I want to hear a lot of yelling, there are various people I can go see. Mostly, I enjoy my peace and quiet. I mean not total quiet, I like to have music on or watch tv, but I cannot get into these shows where people just yell and scream at each other. I have enough problems in my life without watching all that. And the "problems" some of these people have. I'm sorry, but I am NOT sympathetic to the fact that you needed an extra suitcase to bring your 32 shoes to Italy and then had to buy 20+ more pairs. Seriously, there are people with incurable diseases, now that is a major problem. Or we dont' even have to go that far, people are jobless, short on cash, depressed, etc. Maybe you should pack fewer shoes?!?! And I really don't want to watch two men argue over building bikes or finding antiques. Now to each his/her own, watch what you want, but really, it makes me wonder. How realistic are these reality shows? Is life really like that? I guess I lead a sheltered life out here in my neck of the woods. Maybe I should start my own reality show and call it "The Boring Girl Who Blogs." And how much money do some of these people make to do yell at each other? In some professions, it's disrepectful to yell. Okay and then there's this weird show about people who give out parking tickets. OMG who knew giving out parking tickets could be so dramatic, I mean no one likes to get a ticket, but chill out people, you don't have to verbally abuse the person who gave you a ticket. And don't even get me started on those crazy shows where your cousin's aunt's uncle slept with his daughter's niece's frog. Honestly, I think I'd rather watch football. In the mean time I'm off to watch one of my silly non-reality shows or read a book (in another room) while the MC watches some guys yell at each other about cars. Good thing I have two tv's and a big stack of books.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I also have a confession. I too do not like reality TV. The only thing I watch that could be considered "reality" is Project Runway. I justify it because those people actually have talent and they actually have to work hard for an end product. And I agree with all your reasons against reality TV. Have you seen that one where people buy abandoned storage units? CRAZY! I've never watched it, but have seen the commercials advertising it. Really? This is entertainment?

Anonymous said...

I love Parking Wars! -Megan

Cat said...

Natalie, I haven't seen it by choice, but I've seen it when Mike's been over and watched it, more like in passing as I pass by the tv to go do something else lol. He watches some strange stuff. I will have to check out this "Project Runway" business sometime. Megan, I do not share your love for "Parking Wars." Sorry.