Friday, July 5, 2013

Week 37: Chocolate Lasagna

Okay if we're being honest, some weeks I did not make a new dish and some weeks I made three new dishes.  It's all evening out in the end--though truth be told I may not get all 52 dishes made in 52 weeks, it might be 53 weeks because I have four more dishes to make in 5 days to reach my goal.  That doesn't make me a failure right?!?!?  Just slow???  I have plans to make a couple new dishes this weekend, but I'm not sure I'll do all four, but I'm sure going to try.  Anyway, the reason I mention this is because I made this dish and dish 38 for the same event...
  We finally managed to convince a couple of my fiancé's friends to come up here for dinner (they live an hour away from us).  We also invited a couple of his other friends who didn't need so much convincing.  :)  I had dinner planned out, but I was debating what to do for dessert.  One of his friends (and his wife) have two kids so I asked about allergies.  He said the only allergy was shellfish.  Not a problem, I wasn't planning to serve any.  So then I happened to mention some dessert I was making, that had peanut butter in it.  He told me his daughter was allergic to peanut butter!  WHAT?!  Peanut butter is NOT a shellfish, you said ONLY shellfish.  Grr, so much for that idea.  So I decided I would do cheesecake.  Guess who doesn't like cheesecake?  So your daughter can't eat peanut butter and you don't like cheesecake (well, I still did cheesecake, but we'll blog about that tomorrow or the next day), so much for my dessert plans.  I figured I could still do cheesecake for everyone else, but I needed another dessert.  I didn't want to do my usual cookies, brownies, cupcakes.  So I did what anyone would do in this day and age and I went on Pinterest.  :-)  Natalie to the rescue.  She had a dish on her pinterest page called Chocolate Lasagna.  (I like to tell her she is the reason I can't lose weight--not my lack of willpower, but the fact that she has so many delicious looking recipes on her pinterest page).  I told someone at work about my chocolate lasagna plans and she was completely grossed out; she thought it was real lasagna with chocolate on it.  NO, no, no, it was a dessert.  I gave her some leftovers to try and she liked it quite a bit. 
Anyway, the chocolate lasagna was a hit.  The adults liked it, the kids liked it, my co-workers who helped me eat the leftovers liked it.  Come to think of it, I should make it again. I think my friends would like it.  It's too late to make it for my 4th of July fiesta (which is actually being held on the 5th of July), but perhaps for the next gathering.  It's also not too hard to make.  If you're looking for a new sweet treat, I encourage you to make it.   

No comments: