Sunday, May 25, 2014

The Complex World of Healthy Eating

So as you've probably gathered from previous blog posts, I'm trying (at least most days) to eat healthier.  I'll confess this partially stems from wanting to look good on my wedding day, but even before I was engaged, I was trying to make better choices when it came to food.  At a doctor's appointment several years ago, my doctor told me I was overweight.  She said I wasn't a lot overweight, but technically I was overweight.  It was a good wake up call, but I love sweets.  It's hard to undo a life time of sweet treats and bad eating habits in a short period of time--okay, maybe for some people it's not, but I've definitely had my ups and downs.  Anyway, as I've tried to eat healthier, I'd researched various diets, plans, methods, whatever, and talked to a bunch of people.  There are very few things all of these websites, people, plans, etc. agree one.  You can see why people get frustrated and confused!  I experienced some confusion myself recently.  Bear with me, this may be a long one.  Many "experts" agree that exercise is important as is drinking lots of water.   I do both of those things and that makes sense to me anyway.  Beyond that the only food anyone seems to agree on is vegetables, but they don't all share the same views on which veggies are best.  I've never done any of those diets where you have to order special foods/drinks.  I did Weight Watchers a while ago (the on-line version) and it wasn't horrible.  I can see why people like it and I have a friends and a relative who have had success with WW.  However, I found an app on my phone that does similar things to what I was doing with the WW on-line and it was FREE, whereas WW costs money.  So when my membership expired, I didn't renew it.  I did The Biggest Loser with friends a few years ago and I did quite well with that.  The fact that I was saving for a wedding and the winner won money helped.  I'm not a big meat eater so no Atkins for me (that is the one where you have to eat a lot of meat, right?  Maybe I have my diets mixed up).  I tried the vegan thing and I like my dairy too much.  A workshop and two friends are all about organic food to help with better eating/lifestyle choices.  After researching that I was scared to eat anything--clearly, that didn't last long as I still like to eat, but yikes.  I would like to tell you I was convinced to eat all organic stuff, but I can't.  Organic is expensive.  I suppose you could argue that isn't it worth it in the long run?  Probably, but if it comes to buying all organic or saving for a trip to Europe, I'm sorry, I'm buying the bad stuff and going to Europe.  Anyway, I did switch a few things to organic--milk, spinach, and some snacks.  Two people told me that if you ate organic and tried to go back to non-organic, you wouldn't like it.  I tried it after a week or two and had no problem, HOWEVER, I was trying to find organic spinach a couple of weeks ago and the grocery store was out.  My fiancé went to another store and they were out too so he bought me the regular stuff.  OMG, it tasted awful!  I guess you really do get used to organic once you eat it for a few months.  Finally, a friend of mine and a few co-workers of mine have done the Whole 30 food plan.   I was reading up on this a few days ago.  They make a pretty convincing argument, and OMG, how many foods have chemicals in them?!?!  It's as scary as the non-organic food stuff my friend showed me, but again, you all know I like my dairy. 
So my point in rambling about all this is one day you read meat is good, the next it's bad, the next drink more milk, the next don't drink milk. Fruit is good, fruit is bad.  Diet soda is worse than regular soda (I don't drink soda so that one actually doesn't bother me).  Eat low fat, eat no fat, eat only the fat.  I don't know that society will ever agree on a "best food" plan so I guess you just have to do what works for you--and in my case eat fewer sweets.  :)       After all that rambling, I do believe I've lost the point of my blog. So for now, I'm off to drink water, lift some weights, and maybe eat some spinach.  :)  Stay healthy all. 

No comments: