Sunday, August 23, 2015

My Wedding Ceremony


I don't think I can accurately describe my wedding in a blog post.  I'll give a few highlights.  When I walked into the church, my brother greeted me, told me I looked beautiful (so not how he usually speaks to me) and suddenly, I was bawling.  And nervous and exited and I had to go the bathroom.  It's rather embarrassing at my age to have to have someone help you in the bathroom, but my mom came with me and held my dress and told me to stop crying. (Mothers!  She's usually more sensitive!)  I couldn't help it.  I cry easily so I was surprised I lasted that long without tears.  When I was done in the bathroom, the priest wanted all the bridesmaids and my parents to gather for a quick blessing.  I was told again not to try and I assured the priest they were happy tears, but I just couldn't control them.  And then after a quick blessing, we lined up and the wedding party walked down the aisle.  And suddenly it was my turn to walk down with Mom and Dad.  I was still crying, but I also had a huge smile on my face. I was trying to take it all in and see everyone as I walked down the aisle.  I almost forgot to look at the groom!  The priest did a nice job, the ceremony was a bit long, but it went well.  I wasn't in any rush anyway.  I was enjoying the moment.  I kept looking around and smiling and thinking this is really my wedding day, these people are all here for us.  :-)  It was surreal in some ways, wonderful, but surreal.  The priest surprised us a bit with his homily.  It was pretty funny.  He had asked us to write a paragraph about how we met and why we liked each other.  We both put a few funny (but true!) comments in what we wrote, but we didn't realize he was going to read them!  So most of our guests had a good laugh!  I shed a few more tears, but Kate had tissues on hand for me.  There were a few minor glitches here and there, but nothing major (I tried to get my flowers at the wrong time--too soon, and I looked at the priest and I was supposed to look at my husband--the priest called me out on that--I thought you were supposed to look at the speaker, he goes you're not marrying me, look at him). Then back down the aisle, a few more pics, and out a secret exit 'til the crowd departed, then they ushered us back in for more pictures before we went to the reception.   

No comments: