Monday, November 21, 2016

Go Cubs: Reflections from a Red Sox fan

I wouldn't describe myself as a huge sports fan.  I don't understand football and when my husband watches it, if I'm in the same room as him I'm usually reading, doing work, or on the computer.  I do like hockey and went to a big hockey university, but I can't say that I watch it regularly now, but I did very much enjoy going to a hockey game a couple of weeks ago.  I enjoy basektball well enough, but I don't regularly watch it.  I find myself tuned into socc er during World Cup, but otherwise, don't watch that much and of course I love the Olympics, but it's not like those are on all the time.  I do however, pay some attention to baseball.  I'm not saying I could tell you any cool stats or name players on any teams besides the Red Sox or Yankees, but I grew up in a baseball house.  My dad watched the Red Sox regularly when I was a kid.  My husband watches them now.  I would watch games here and there in my childhood. I can remember my first Red Sox game--it was so cold and the game went on for ages and the Sox lost badly--it's kind of amazing I went back actually.  I started paying attention again in high school because it seemed "cool to do so" and I had a little crush on Nomar Garciapara.  I got really into the Sox in college.  It was so easy to hang out with friends and watch tv in the dorms that we often hung out and watched Sox games.  Then I went to graduate school in Boston.  I was there the year they lost the division series to the Yankees (you know when everyone said Francona should have pulled Pedro out) AND I was there in 2004 when it seemed hopeless that they would win--no, it seemed impossible.  I turned off game 4, then put it back on with my eyes half shut only to be SHOCKED that they won that game--and boy was that a late night--and the next three.  People in the city were so happy.  There was just a happy vibe when you'd be out and about.  I remember one T driver practically dancing from happiness talking about the game. And that was before they won the world series, gosh that was an exciting week.  My friends and I, and people where I was working, studying, and interning were SO HAPPY when they won.  So so happy!  So my point (because believe it or not I do have one) in all of this is despite not being a huge sports fan, I get what it feels like to see "your" team lose and not make the World Series year after year and how exciting it is when they FINALLY do win because admit it, you did wonder if you'd ever see a win in your lifetime, even though you're not that old, but you knew it had been a long time since they won.  So...when I heard the Cubs had a shot at the series, I was "Go Cubs" all the way. I've been to Wrigley and enjoyed it, but my main reason for wanting the Cubs to win was that I understood how it felt to have such a long streak without a World Series win.  So even though I generally don't watch baseball if the Red Sox aren't playing,  I did find myself tuning into the World Series this year.  And then getting nervous and having to turn off the game.  And then there was game 7.  OMG  If it were a movie you wouldn't believe it, they're up, they're not, they're tied, what do you mean there's a rain delay?  It's MIDNIGHT!  I should have been in bed hours ago.  I have to work in a few hours!      Well, I fell asleep during the rain delay and woke up the next morning too nervous to put on the phone or tv or anything, but  I finally did and I was so happy for the Cubs, exhausted, but happy--I was also annoyed that I was that tired and didn't get to actually see the win--thank goodness for YouTube!  So while I may not be a true Cubs fan, I was pretty happy to see them win.  Go Cubs!      

No comments: