Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Philadelphia Day 2

On our next (and last) day in Philadelphia we got up, got ready, and had another included delcious breakfast.  I hadn't had a donut since last year, but since I was eating junk all weekend, I had one.  It was fine, but I should have stuck with those delcious cinnamon rolls instead.  Then we checked out of our hotel, stored our luggage and took a taxi to Independence Hall.  It was only a mile away, but neither one of us had an umbrella because we're smart like that and it was pouring so a taxi seemed the way to go.  I at least had a jacket, but that only did so much good when we stood in the rain waiting to go through security twice later on that morning.  We got our tickets at the vistiors' center, then got soaked waiting to go through security, then finally got into Independnece Hall for our tour.





 









After that, we waited in the rain again to go see the Liberty Bell.  I like history so I enjoyed seeing both places.






 I wanted to go see the Constitution Center since I am a dork and took a college course on the Constitution, but it was only a little after 11 and it didn't open until noon so we went back to the Vistitors' Center for a little while to kill time.  Hung out there for a half hour or so then headed to the Constitution Center because we thought it was going to be a bit of a walk, but it was across the street so we stood in the cold counting down the minutes until it opened.  It wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but I enjoyed it well enough.
















We then hopped on the hop on hop off bus and rode it over to One Liberty Plaza (with a quick pic of the Rocky Statue and stairs).  The views were much better than the day before, the staff was friendly, and we didn't have to stand in the rain (the sun was out now).













 We were hungry after that (it was well past lunch time) so we decided to go back to Reading Terminal Market for lunch.  We still had some time to kill so we wandered around a little bit, got cookies from Insomnia Cookies (place I'd read about on some travel site), and eventually went back to our hotel around 5 to wait for our 5:30 taxi because we didn't really have any other place to go for a half hour.  Getting home was a bit of a process, but I'll save that for another post and end this on a happy note.
It was a good day in Philadelphia.

 

No comments: