Sunday, November 20, 2016

Trying to Leave Philadelphia

And before you knew it, two weeks has passed and you still haven't finished writing about a weekend trip to Philadelphia.  Let's get this done!
So as you may remember, we had a good weekend in Philadelphia, which is more than I can say for our departure from Philadelphia.  Our taxi was supposed to pick us up at 5:30.  I was worried we were cutting it close because our flight was at 7:15 and aren't you supposed to get to the airport about a month before your flight departs these days?  Anyway, the taxi arrived at 5:40 so from about 5:32 until 5:40 we were starting to worry, but the driver showed up and as it was a Sunday evening there wasn't much traffic.  I think we got to the airport around 6:00.  Didn't take us too long to check in and get through security so we headed to our gate.  Mike stayed at the gate and I went in search of a Christmas ornament--that's my new thing now when I travel.  I get an ornament from each new place I visit.  Actually, it's not really that new.  I've been doing it for a few years now.  As I was walking back to our gate, I heard some woman on he cell phone complaining that her flight was departing an hour late now.  I thought, "Geeze that stinks, glad that's not me."  Little did I know...I got back to the gate and couldn't find Mike.   Well, that was weird. He didn't seem like the type to just ditch me ha ha.  So I pulled out my cell phone to call him and saw I had a missed call from him. Turns out they moved our gate AND (bet you're not surprised) our flight was leaving an hour late.  Ironically (or not), the last time I tried to leave Philly (from a connecting flight elsewhere) our flight left an hour late.  So we decided to buy and eat an overpriced dinner.  Seriously, why is airport food so expensive? I guess they know you're starving and you can't exactly leave the airport and come back so you'll just pay the ridiculous prices.  Finally, boarded our flight only to be told the airport we were flying to had ONE runway open so we couldn't leave for over and hour.  WHAT?!  Seriously?  I was going to spend more time waiting to take off than the length of the flight.  Let's just say I was glad we didn't have to work on Monday.  We almost were going to come back Monday and go to work on Tuesday.  Thank goodness we didn't do that because by the time we finally got to the airport, got back to the car, and got home it was nearly midnight.  At least it was a short flight.  If I had to sit on a plane for over an hour and then have a 6 hour flight or something, I'd be a big grump!
So there ya' go, a month later, I'm caught up on a two 1/2 day trip lol.  Happy Thanksgiving!    

No comments: