Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Do they offer tutorials in car identificaton?

To say I don't know much about cars is a huge understatement.  I don't mean just fixing cars, but as you all know I haven't a clue in that department. If the car people tell me  X is wrong with my car, I usually google it or ask my friend Tony if X is real and if the price they're quoting me is legit.  But I also don't know much about types of cars.  If I ever witnessed a crime and Briscoe and Green (come on any other "Law and Order" fans out there?), asked me to describe the getaway car, I'd say, it was blue, Det Briscoe, "Yes, but what kind?"  Me:  "A big blue car."  Maybe I'd get lucky and remember a plate number.  I have friends who I have been friends with for years and love dearly.  I could tell you all kinds of things including in some cases their phone number when they were in elementary school--I could even tell you their birthday without going on Facebook, but what kind of car they have?  Nope!  Not a clue.  I could point to one and say, that is ___'s car because I recognize a sticker or vanity plate, but unless I went up and read the brand, I couldn't tell you what it was.  One of my friends has a red car.  Another has one that looks like a van.  And a few of the guys have pick up trucks.  Actually, one of my friends has the same kind of car as I do, so I could tell you what she has.
Several of my co-workers asked if I got a new car--after my temp plates were gone--and I kept thinking how do they know that?  Maybe the recognize the license plate?   I'm not even one of those people who parks in the same spot every day.  I could point out two of my co-workers' cars simply because they have vanity plates and maybe another one or two simply because they always park in the same spot.  Seriously if there were a special education coding for cars, I'd probably qualify.  So you should be very impressed when on my own I noticed I was sitting behind a Corvette at what is one of the longest light's in my home town last week.  So as I'm waiting for the light I start looking around and on the other side of me I see an unknown car that clearly looks like someone is living out of it. So then I start thinking (because I'm not kidding when I say this is one of the longest lights in my hometown) about cars.  Now granted I know nothing about about the Corvette driver or the person potentially living out of their car, but talk about two worlds colliding next to me.  So it got me thinking about cars and costs.   To me a car is a car, I will admit some do look nicer than others and I mean no disprect to Corvettes, but when I was pondering costs, etc, this is how my mind works (scary, right?):  Why is that car so expensive?  I bet it doesn't run that well in the snow.  It only sits two people.  Where do you put your luggage if you have to travel?  Don't you ge nervous driving that in the city?  How much is your insurance?  I have a friend who works for Ferrari and he told me how much a Ferrari repair was costing a customer one time and I nearly fell over.  At the time, that one repair was about the same as my ANNUAL salary.  Now my guess is if you can afford a Corvette or Ferari, you can also afford another car with storage, more seats, runs well in the snow, etc.  So not only is there no way I'll ever be able to afford a fancy car--unless I win the lottery, which is highly unlikely since I don't play and honestly, if I ever did win, I'd probably buy a bigger house, pay off my loans, and travel A LOT--I think I'd be too nervous to drive one.  So as long as it's gets me where I need to go, doesn't need a lot of repairs, runs well in the snow, is affordable and can hold two suitcases, and possibly some day a child, I'm content.  In the mean time, if I don't notice your new car or can't identify your car, please don't be offended.  But I'll be sure to wish you a happy birthday when it's time and remember random trivia from our childhood.  :-)  

No comments: