Friday, November 3, 2017

Road Trip Day 3: Milwauke (A Lot of Food and Drinks)

Our hotel was not that close to the attractions of Milwaukee.  The lady at the hotel recommended we take an Uber since she said parking would be expensive--turned out we could have parked for $5.00 and an Uber one way was twice that, but such is life.  Aside from a moment of panic when I realized I didn't have my phone (oh, how we rely on technology too much), we had a good day. We got dropped off at the starting point for the Hop On Hop Off bus tour of the city and rode one loop around.  Then we got off at the Milwaukee Public Market where we tried the famous cheese curds and had some brunch there. (I had French Toast.)  I enjoyed the cheese curds--Mike did too. They came with Ranch dressing, which I found an enjoyable dipping sauce.  My brunch (French Toast with a side of bacon--which I shared with Mike) was good too.  We then walked to the Purple Door, where we had some ice-cream, not that we needed more food, but it was famous and I wanted to try it.  I ordered some mint chocolate chip ice-cream and since it was National Ice-Cream Day, they also offered me a free scoop of something else--I chose dark chocolate.  Mike had strawberry and for his freebie, he chose whiskey ice-cream.  From there we walked up to the Lost Valley Cider Co.  I tried a flight--my favorite was the pineapple.  When we were done there, we walked up the road a bit to the Iron Horse Hotel and peeked inside while we waited for the Hop On Hop Off bus.  If we had more time, I probably would have visited the art museum, but we had tickets for a tour of of Lakefront Brewery.  I don't like beer, but I really enjoyed the tour.  I've done a few brewery tours and I think this was one of the best ones we've ever done.  Our guide Jake was a riot.  He kept us informed and entertained.  After the tour, we ordered some food while we finished one of our free beers--well, attempted to finish it in my case since I didn't like it.  When we were done, we took an Uber back to our hotel and hung out for a while.  Mike recently became a fan of Game of Thrones and our hotel had HBO (we didn't at home) so he wanted to be in the room to watch it.  So we ordered some take out food, picked it up, then he watched his show, while I journaled and read.

 Famous cheese curds













The husband enjoying "Game of Thrones"

No comments: