Sunday, November 7, 2010

Nightmares in Priming and Staining Part 2: The Neverending Touch Ups

By Thursday evening, I had 11 pieces of wood completely done and all 34 pieces of wood were primed on both sides and most of the wood was stained on at least one side. Unfortunately, when I went to move some more wood into the basement I noticed some of the "completed" 11 pieces of wood needed touching up so I got a tiny paintbrush and carefully touched up some wood. Of course once you start touching up a few spots you find a few more and before you know it an hour has passed and instead of painting wood, you've touched up 100 teeny tiny spots. I took half a personal day that Friday afternoon to work on this crazy project as I needed to have it done by the 27th as that was when my contractor wanted to put the siding up. The stacked pieces of wood needed to be restained, and ended up with some weird spots on them, but I did the best I could and restained them. I was productive that Friday afternoon and finished in time to cook a birthday dinner for my mom. I spent a few hours staining that Saturday too, but did not waste the whole day on it as I was having a housewarming party with my friends from high school that night. So I jazzed up a day of staining with some cleaning and finally, some much needed good times with friends. By Sunday afternoon, the painting was nearly done. I finsihed both sides of all the wood, but still needed to do touch-ups. It seemed like every time I moved I saw another spot that needed to be touched up. I continued with the weird positions too-lying on the floor, near splits, etc. to reach varioius pieces of wood. I spent post-working and tutoring on Monday touching up. My contractor called me that Wednesday and asked if he could start the job on Thursday. That was fine with me so I went to the parents' house again (and you thought since I moved out of there I wouldnd't be there EVERY day). to move the wood out of the basement back into the garage and you guessed it, Mom and I found more spots that needed to be touched up so I touched them up and thought, yay, I'm finally done painting--famous last words again. And the story continues with part three tomorrow because I need to get to trivia. :)

1 comment:

jess said...

uuuugh, touch ups are the worst! because you could literally lose your mind going over every. little. tiny. spot!