Saturday, October 20, 2012

Day 7: Greenland

When my friend and I were planning our Iceland trip, we decided to splurge and do a day trip to Greenland. When else would we have the opportunity to go to Greenland?  I'm sure people go there and all, but I don't personally know anyone who has been there (at least not that I know of, perhaps you've been there and I don't know it).  It was kind of a random spot to visit, but it was only a two hour flight from Iceland and we were both interested in checking it out.  So on our almost last day of the Iceland trip we did a day trip to Greenland.  The population of Greenland is approximately 60,000.  There are cities near me that are bigger than that.  The town we visited has a population of under 300.  The town had:  an airport, a hotel, a general store, a souvenir shop, a school (the school does not house the equivalent of our high school, so students basically have to go to some type of boarding school because you can't really commute from this town to school on a daily basis), a church, a community center (I think), a cemetary, and an assortment of houses.  We saw all of those things (and of course I took pictures of most of those things) as well as a drumming presentation.  We also walked from the airport to town so we stopped quite a few times to take in the views and get some good pics.  You can't really drive from the Kulusuk (where we visited) to any other parts of Greenland so there aren't many cars in town.  There is a helicopter that flies back and forth a few times a day between Kulusuk and another larger town.  There are also boats in town so people can fish, catch seals, etc.  It's a different life than I'm used to, that's for sure.  Anyway, I learned a lot about the town and Greenland as a whole, saw some nice views, took some good pics, and went on a short boat ride that did not require Dramamene.  I feel like I should write more, but instead I'm going to post some pics.  We had a good day trip and met some nice people from Colorado, Belgium,  Iceland, and of course Greenland.  And of course I bought a couple of souvenirs and had a danish (do they call it a danish in Greenland--it's part of Denmark--is that pc?  That's how the woman described our snack to us.)    It was a good day!






Below is a view inside the church.
 The drumming presentation we saw is below.
 Hanging out in Greeland, with the town we were soon to visit in the background.
 
The School

No comments: