Sunday, July 16, 2017

There is An Arizona

Years ago there was a country song called, "There is No Arizona."  It's been a while since I've heard the song since at the time I did not like country music, but the premise is something like there is a couple and the guy decides to move to Arizona.  He plans to get settled and then have his girlfriend come out.  Only he never does ask her to come out with hin so she says there is no Arizona and it appears that he's left her. A couple of years after this song came out, my boyfriend at the time decided to move to Arizona to "find himself" so he dumped me. My mother very much enjoyed singing that song to me.  Sorry for the 800 run on sentences.
Anyway, I don't know if he found himself or not, but he moved back a few months later and got back together with his ex for a while and well, I don't really feel it's appropriate for me to post his life story on my blog, but suffice it to say though I never would have believed it at the time, his leaving led me to eventually meeting my husband (they were and still are very good friends) so I guess you could say things worked out.  If you want the full story, I'd be happy to share it with you over drinks or chocolate some night or perhaps a fruit bowl since I'm supposed to be eating healthier.  Anyway, the reason I'm telling you all this is to help explain the title of this blog post in case you don't know the song I referenced in it.  Now let's move on, shall we?  
    We did not have an early flight on Tuesday so I had time to go to the hotel gym that morning.  There was one other guy in there with me and he was talking loudly on his cell phone.  Dude (did I really just say dude), you're at a hotel, how about you go talk on the cell phone in your room not in the middle of the gym.  The gym is for working out.  End rant.
   Post workout, I got ready, then we went to the airport for our short flight to Phoenix.  Thank goodness it was a short flight.  It was the bumpiest flight I've ever been on.  They couldn't even serve the complimentary beverages.  The pilot wanted to go above the storm or via a different route, but nothing was open so my stomach and I struggled through and made it without illness.
  I neglected to say what I was doing in Arizona so just briefly, I was visiting my friend Natalie.  I've blogged about her before.  We met in college. She did a semester exchange during her junior/my freshman year.  She lived two doors down the hall from me and even though it was only a semester, we've kept in touch and she remains a good friend.    We went for a few years without seeing each other and then by a bit of coincidence I guess we saw each other several years in a row due to my visiting her, her coming to my wedding, her coming out here for her husband's high school reunion, her coming out here for a wedding, and now me (and the hubs) visiting her.   We don't have anything planned for next year, but there is a workshop I kind of want to attend in Las Vegas next summer so maybe I can detour to her place on the way home so we can keep the tradition going.  This is turning into a super long blog so let's wrap it up with:  Natalie's husband and one her sons picked us up from the airport.  We hung out for a while, then when Natalie got home, the six of us (the four adults and Natalie's two kids) went out to dinner at a place called Rustler's Rooste (I might have the name wrong since it was over two months ago).  It has nice views so that's why she picked it.  I had shrimp, which was pretty good.  After dinner, we hung out for a while catcing up.  And that was a very long blog post for what could have just as easily said:  We boared the plane to Arizona, had a bumpy flight, then hung out, and went out to dinner.  




No comments: