Saturday, August 26, 2017

Day 8: An Amazing Day (And A LOT of Food)

Today began with a trip to a local bakery that is over 500 years old. The owner was wonderful.  She told us about the bakery, its history, herself, showed us around, gave us time for Q and A, and provided us with some delicious food.  She was adorable.  The food included sandwiches, chocolate cake, and delicious cheesecake.  We'd just had breakfast one hour ago!

After the bakery, we boarded the bus for Fulda.  The plan there was to visit a center that helps refugrees and then have some free time. We learned a little bit about the Welcome In--the place that helps refugees.  We also heard one Afghanistan refugee's story.  It was heart-breaking.  Again, I don't really feel like I have the right to publish his personal story on my blog, but what he went through was awful.  And he's still going through hardshp in some ways because although he is safely in Germany now, his wife and young kids have not been able to come over yet.  I hope and pray that one day soon they may join him.  And if you really are interested in more info on the topic, I took a ton of notes there too that I'm happy to share.  :)

Oh, and we ate again because the people at the center provided us with more delicious food.

We had about an hour of free time after that so a few of us wandered around and visited two churches and some gardens.  Then it was time to get back on the bus to return to Geisa.  A couple of us went to the local grocey store to 1. check it out and 2. get snacks for later in the week.

We had dinner at the hotel that night.  The food was good, but I ordered fish and it came with the head still on.  I had a really hard time eating something that was looking at me.  I had to cover the head with a tomato and then I was quite turned off to fish for a few days after that.

After dinner, many of us went basically around the hotel and down some stairs to an event called Funkenfest.  Despite my best googling efforts, I'm not sure I fully understand the point of Funkenfest.  I very much enjoyed it, but I don't know what the goal was.  Perhaps it's just to have fun and be merry.  There were bars, a dance area, and games.  We all had a great time and the locals seemed to get a kick out of us.  I enjoyed a couple of drinks and even danced to some American music.  I also blushed terribly when a local tried to sell me a drink with a very inappropriate name--I didn't have one, but one of my friends did.  :)  I think I stayed 'til about 12:30--hey, I'm getting old.  I heard a few people in our group made it well past 2:00.  Ahh, to be young again lol.

  We had to wear special attire in the bakery. 



Delicious food at the bakery

Some food for sale at the bakery


The feast at the Welcome In

Fulda












Visting the grocery store




I did NOT take a picture of the fish, but I did enjoy the dessert!  

Game time at Funkenfest

Cheers from Funkenfest

Stamp to attend Funkenfest

No comments: