Monday, February 21, 2011

No, I Don't Want to Go There

So I am due for an oil change soon, which means another dreaded trip to the mechanic. I think in a previous post I told you that I do not enjoy going to the mechanic. I swear they can tell I know nothing about cars and enjoy tormenting me. Here's an example:

Me: Can I get an oil change/inspection/tire rotation/other simple inexpensive task please?

Person at car place politley takes my information and directs me waiting room, telling me it should be ready in about an hour

I go to waiting room and continue reading a book I started ages ago, but haven't finished yet because I've been busy.

Car person comes over to me: They found a crack in your adkjdokajdokj.

What I think: What the heck is an adkjdokajdokj? I will have to google it or ask Rich or Tony, two friends of mine who know infinitely more about cars than me. How much is this going to cost? There goes that summer vacation.

What I Say: Oh, dear, can you fix it?

Car person: Yes, we can do it today, but it will take about 3 hours and cost you $800,888.99.

What I Think: HOW MUCH?! For What?! I want to move back to the city and take the subway everywhere. Is my car even worth that much money?

What I Say: So what caused this problem?

Car Person: A little unicorn tap-dancing in your adkakdjkjdr and it ruined your adkjodokajdokj.

What I think: Was that even in English?

What I Say: Oh, okay, thanks.



See, they could be talking in Greek and telling me a mythical animal and I wouldn't know the difference. I also love how whenever they fix something the part is about $30, but the labor is $300. Do you know how many hours I'd have to work to pay for one hour of mechanical work? UGH!



Although the mechanic is one of my least favorite places to go, there are a few other places that I find "challenging."



Lab work--I HATE having blood drawn and I have to have that done soon too.



A friend of mine recently wrote that she dislikes grocery shopping so I started thinking about that. I actually don't mind grocery shopping, but you know what I dislike? The carriage. I have been known to overfill a baket and carry it in one hand and then carry the gallon of milk in my other hand since it won't fit in a basket instead of getting a carriage. When the bagger politely offers me a carriage, I decline and struggle to carry the bags out because I've convinced myself it's easier than dealing with a carriage. I just don't like pushing them around the store. Instead I'll cram stuff into the basket and pray the eggs don't break.



One of the two banks I go to: One bank that I go to is lovely, truly, the people are nice, friendly, etc, but the other one, omg, they're always trying to sell me something or get me to apply for something. I don't want it! I just want you to take care of the one little thing I came in for, hence why I rarely go.



The gas station, but only because lately whenever I go the price keeps getting higher and it depresses me.



One particular store, which will remain nameless, but let's just say sometimes when people reach a certain point in their life they ask for things from this particular store and I can never find anything. I'm so tempted to just get them a gift card, but instead I wander around like a lost little girl hoping to find something on their list.



And then there are four stores I really like (Kohls, Target, JC Penney, and Barnes and Noble), but I really should be kept away from them because I tend to spend money whenever I go there. I have at least 30 books that I haven't read, there is no need for me to buy another one because it looks good. And don't get me started on clothes, accessories, cute thing s for the condo, or all things Target. I go there for one thing and come home with ten, how does that happen? It's not just me. I went there with the MC the other night because he wanted one thing and he did the same thing and he doesn't even like shopping.



Craft stores--same as the previous stores. I am not crafty, but sometimes going to these stores inspires me and I think I will become crafty, that or they have cute holiday decorations that I want to buy for my new home. And then I get home and get mad at myself for spending money when I still need to pay the ridiculously expensive heating bill.

I think I will be spending my day off at home, avoiding all aforementioned good and bad places.

Happy Presidents' Day!

1 comment:

Natalie said...

My top 4 stores: Target, Kohls, Hobby Lobby and....Hmmm. Maybe I just have 3.

We'll go to all of them when you're here.