Wednesday, February 23, 2011

(Not) Prepping for Vegan Week

So vegan week (MAYBE vegan fortnight) is under two weeks away. You think I'd be prepping for it by slowly adding vegan-friendly food to my diet, right? Oh, no! The way I've been eating lately you'd think I was becoming a vegan forever not for one week, MAYBE (big MAYBE) two weeks. I'm also contemplating going full out vegan for a week as planned, but then week two going vegan except for my skim milk, but we'll see about that when the time gets closer. So getting back to my point, instead of introducing more vegan-friendly foods to my diet the past few days, I've been trying to finish all the non-vegan foods that might tempt me. I've add shrimp three nights this week. Usually I have it one night a week. I bought sushi again. I've also been drinking tons of milk, okay, I do that anyway, but if I drink lots of milk this week will it be okay to lack calcium next week? What do vegans do? Take calcium pills? And let's not reflect on the cucpakes. I had two cupcakes in a six hour period, not healthy and instead of just having a bagel with creem cheese once a week, I've had it like every day this week so I can finish up the cream cheese. And I felt the need to unfreeze my apple bread and eat that this week too.



I did start thinking about vegan foods I could eat. I haven't made baked/stuffed zucchini in a while so I thought I could make that for vegan week and just not put cheese on it. Well, then I went and looked at the ingredients in breadcrumbs (which I need to make the meal) and guess what? On one of the last lines it says: contains less than 2% of the following and what's on there? Eggs! I didn't know there were eggs in breadcrumbs. Did you? Maybe it's common knowledge and I'm just dumb. So even though it's such a small amount if I'm going to do this for real I'm guessing that means I can't have breadcrumbs either? So I guess may baked stuffed zucchini should really just be called zucchini as there won't be much left to stuff it with if I can't use the cheese or the breadcrumbs. I think I'll be eating a lot of salad and fruit salad soon. If anyone has any good suggestions for vegan foods for me to try, send them my way. And if any of them do not contain tofu that would be great. :)

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Have you ever tried almond milk? It's not naturally high in calcium, but has calcium added. I like it more than soy milk. You should try it so you don't get brittle bones or osteoporosis when you're vegan. I've bought it at Walmart before, but regular grocery stores should have it too. I've never had it, but you could try rice milk too.

Other ideas: pasta, peanut butter, soup, beans. Those are all hearty and will fill you up.

Cat said...

Thanks Natalie!