Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Reflections from a Fake Vegan Day 1

So a couple of days ago I began my vegan week. On day one I went to the grocery store--and was reminded why I don't go to the grocery store on a Saturday afternoon. I was set to begin vegan week that night around 7 or 8. That way I could finish by 7 or 8 the following Saturday--in time to eat non-vegan food at a St. Patrick's Day party. Priorities, right? Hey if I am baking goodies for a party, I want to be able to enjoy them. This is why I could never make it as a real vegan in real life. Anyway, day one wasn't too bad. I bought lots of fruits and veggies, rice, veggie burgers, tortilla wrap things, and I even found a salad dressing that appears to be vegan-friendly. Perhaps next time I go vegan for a week, I should do it when more fruits are in season, but I digress. So Saturday night was no problem as I had eaten plenty of typical food during the day. Sunday morning, I confess I did cheat a little. I had about a big glassful of skim milk left in the fridge. I didn't want to waste it, but I wasn't sure it'd still be good in a week so I decided to just drink it. I know, I know, a real vegan wouldn't do that, but as we know I am a fake vegan. I'm just doing this to see if I can do it and because supposedly it's good for you, but the way I see it, a girl needs her calcium. Breakfast was fine. Most of the breakfast foods I regularly eat do not contain animal products. I was so busy Sunday afternoon that I didn't have time for a snack. I had some noodle concoction for lunch and pasta for dinner. So if you can forgive the milk (hey isn't it wrong to waste food too?) day one went fairly well. We'll see how the rest of the week goes.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Good for you. Milk, what milk?

Does it make you mad/jealous to tell you I had steak for dinner?

Cat said...

I don't like steak so no. If you had fish then it might. :)