Thursday, March 10, 2011

Reflections From a Fake Vegan Day 2: Those Darn Labels

I suppose if there were a week to be a fake vegan, this was the week to do it. This week is/was insanely busy. I have/had meetings, etc after work every day (okay Friday isn't so much a meeting as a standing walking date with a colleague) and something to do every night (some fun stuff and some meetings). So since I was going to be so busy, I wouldn't be snacking so much since I wouldn't have time. Breakfast on Day two of Vegan Week went well as did lunch (I'm loving the fruit this week). After my meeting, I went to the gym, then was home for about 15 minutes before I had to meet some friends to go to see a movie. I vaguely remember inhaling an English Muffin with peanut butter in the midst of changing, returning a phone call, and playing beat the clock in an attempt to make it to the movies on time (success). Later on that night I was reading some vegan websites in an attempt to get more ideas for recipes and vegan-safe foods and I noticed one of the more comprehensive lists didn't list English Muffins, so I checked the label and wouldn't you know it, the darn things have milk as the second to last ingredient. SERIOUSLSY?! Seriously? Apparently, bagels are safe. I like bagels, in fact I like them even more then English Muffins. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy English Muffins, but had I been smart and read the label FIRST I would have noticed this and bought bagels instead. I guess I'm kind of a failure since I unintentionally ate non-vegan food on vegan week. Grr. I'm still sticking with the project, but I may try it again another week later this year when I'm more sure of the food labels. Ironically, since doing vegan week, I've been eating fewer vegetables. I'm definitely eating healthier since I can't eat sweets, but instead of my usual salad for lunch I had fruit salad. I figured since I'd be eating lots of veggies for/with dinner I'd do fruit for lunch, but I've yet to have veggies for dinner so we'll see how that goes. In the mean time, have a good night and read your food labels, or maybe you shouldn't read them, then you won't know you are unintentionally cheating.

No comments: