Monday, March 14, 2011

Reflections From a Fake Vegan Day 4: The Joys and Challenges of Baking

Day four went fairly well in fake vegan-land. I think I successfully avoided English Muffins and all other foods that might contain eggs, butter, or milk. Might I also add that on day two, I passed up a brownie and had fruit instead. Just had to pat myself on the back for one success. So anyway, on day four I decided to try some vegan baking. A friend of mine gave me some egg replacer (replacement? I'm not sure it's proper name) and told me I should make zucchini bread with it. I like zucchini bread and I've made it before so I thought I'd give it a try. I made it with the fake eggs and well...it looked really weird. Not terribly moist and when it was done cooking, it looked a little crumbly, but you know what? It tasted fine! It would have tasted better with butter on it, but yeah, it was good. I also made vegan-safe brownies. Those were also not as moist when in batter form though when they were done baking they seemed more moist than regular brownies. They taste all right, but I haven't been as addicted to them as I have been to regular brownies. I think I'll stick with the zucchini bread. :)

No comments: