Friday, March 18, 2011

Reflections from a Fake Vegan Day 5: Keep Me Busy So I Don't Cheat

Day five was a long day. Per usual breakfast and lunch went well. I had to work late so work provided me with dinner. I did my best to eat vegan. I didn't put dressing on my salad and when I ate it, I tried not to eat any cheese. I was careful about which pasta I picked--not the really good looking cheesy kind. :( I also showed tremendous restraint and stared at the dessert table, but did not eat anything on it. After all, I had a piece of vegan-zucchini bread and a vegan brownie waiting for me. Yeah, somehow, those didn't sound as good as the desserts in front of me, but I managed to bypass the dessert table and head back to my desk. Since it was such a long busy day, I didn't have a ton of time to eat so I didn't mind the vegan thing as much as I otherwise might have. After work, I had a dance class so no time to eat then--or be tempted by non-vegan foods. When I got home from dance, I baked some things for a party I was hosting two days later. I really wanted to sample some of my baked goodies, but I knew I had to wait two days so I baked the goodies and then put them out of sight. Out of sight, out of mind, right? Yeah, not so much, but I managed. After all only two days left to go. The end was near, I couldn't wait to drink a glass of milk, make a grilled cheese, and enjoy some sushi. Oh, yeah, and perhaps a brownie. :) I don't know how real vegans do it. They must have insane willpower.

No comments: