Sunday, March 13, 2011

Reflections from a Fake Vegan Day 3: Will Power...Or Not

Day three of vegan week started off well enough. I had a vegan-friendly breakfast and lunch. At lunch time, it was someone's birthday so one person on my team brought in a birthday cake. I gathered up some will power and said no thank you. Even when they peer pressured me to have just a little piece, I said no thanks, "I'm trying to be good" and I stood my ground. Go me! Later that day I had a meeting with my boss who offered me my favorite kind of Girl Scout cookie. I really wanted one, but I said no thanks. He offered again and I managed to resist again. I was so proud, I was actually passing up sweets. Usually when I battle with my sweet tooth, my sweet tooth wins, especially on a stressful day. Well, things went along nicely until it was time to tutor. When I got to tutoring, they had a nice little snack left out for me on a plate at the spot where I usually sit. I wasn't exactly sure how to explain that I was eating vegan for a week and could you tell me if there are eggs, butter, or milk in this little treat. If it were a friend or family member or something, I'd probably just explain, but let's face it this whole thing I'm doing is weird. Who eats vegan for one week just because? And I was pretty hungry since it had been five hours since I had my fruit salad so I ate the treat and I'm pretty sure it wasn't vegan-friendly. So three days into vegan week, I've eaten three things that were not vegan-approved. Am I a failure? I may have to do this vegan business again sans milk, English Muffins, and tutoring treats. I give those real vegan some major kudos. It's a lot of work to keep up with all the ingredients and pass up on good foods when everyone else is eating them. We'll see what day four brings.

1 comment:

jess said...

i think you should give yourself a pass for the few goofs you've had. it's so hard!!!!!!!!