Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A Verb is a Noun...Or is it a Verb?

As someone who enjoys reading, writing, words, etc, you'd think I could speak/write properly, right? Wrong! I have this bad habit of verbing things--see I just did it. Yep, I take words that are nouns and turn them into verbs. Ironically, the word verb is a noun, but I make it into a verb when I verb things. For example, two of my friends and I were playing Scrabble on-line and one of them put out a word none of us knew. So one friend asked what the word meant. I had no idea so I said "Dictionary.com it." Dictionary.com is a noun, but I felt the need to turn it into a verb instead of simply saying something along the lines of, "Look on dictioary.com."

Speaking of Scrabble, I learn so many new words from that game. I swear people are making words up and then I'll look it up and it turns out it's a real word. So I'm not wasting time when I play, I'm improving my vocabulary. :)

Not only do I verb things, but I also enjoy saying fake words that are composed of two real words. Years ago, a kid taught me the word ginormous (I assume he was trying to combine gigantic and enormous). I know it's not a real word, but I still say it every once in a while. I find it fantabulous. Yep, fantastic and fabulous equals fantabulous.

Another word I like "countrify." That is when a country singer sings a non-country song, and you know puts a country twist on it. This is a bad example, but it's the only one I can think of right now, so just go with me for a minute here. Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You" was originally sung by Dolly Parton. I think she wrote it too. Well, let's pretend for a minute that Whitney originally did the song and then Dolly sang it later. I would say that Dolly Parton countrified the song--or made it a country song. Yep, I'm a huge dork!

2 comments:

jess said...

there is this comic i LOVE called "get fuzzy" and there's this great line from one of the cartoons that bucky (who is a cat) says. it's "you can wordify anything if you just verb it." your post made me think of it :P
i do this to. i can't think of any good examples. but i do. :)

Natalie said...

I also love verbing things and making up new words- probably why we get along so splendidly.