Monday, November 26, 2012

Did I Really Just Run Out of Gas?

If you've read my blog regularly (or even not that regularly) you know I've had some shall we say car issues over the years. Well...a couple of weeks ago, my fiance and I were heading to meet his family for lunch at a restaurant that is about halfway in between us.  We were about 10 minutes away from the restaurant when the car died.  As if that isn't bad enough, we were getting off one highway and onto another one and we were on the left side and could not get to the breakdown lane.  People could still get by us, but they were a little annoyed because it forced them to merge a car length earlier than usual. We thought we were out of gas because as the car died, the gas light came on.  I'd never run out of gas before and felt like a fool, but what can you do.  My gas needle had been a little off lately so I was just going by miles.  So I called AAA and they said they'd send someone within a half hour.  Sure enough a half hour later, AAA came with the gas.  I told him what happened and he said he didn't think it was the gas.  He opened the hood, did some stuff, and said it was NOT the gas, but rather looked like it was something electrical.  So he called another AAA truck who towed the car (after a state police officer came by and hit our car to the break down lane--yes, hit it with his car, who knew?  Last time my car died, the police officers PUSHED me out of the way) and then my fiance's parents came to pick us up and bring us to lunch.  A broken car is a good form of weight loss because I was so nervous about whether the car could be fixed and how much it would cost that I didn't eat much.  I managed to eat a little and later went out with my fiance to his friend's house where we had a good time.  His friend thought it was probably something wrong with my fuel pump and wouldn't make me completely broke.  The mechanic called me at 7:15am (GRR) the next day (a Sunday as in a day to sleep late) to tell me they wouldn't be able to get to my car that day (you couldn't tell me this at 9?  you don't even open 'til 8 on Sundays?!).  Monday morning I found out I had a broken fuel pump, a dead battery, and did I want a transmission flush since I was due for that now too. Tuesday after work, I had my car back and the mechanic assured me the fuel pump would work for years to come as would the battery.  Approximately, 6-6 1/2 hours after I got my car back, my washing machine died.  We'll save that for another blog though.    On a happy note, for the first time in a few years, my car passed inspection without needing anything fixed (as it should have since I'd just spent over two weeks' pay on car repairs the week prior). 

No comments: