Friday, November 23, 2012

Let Us Give Thanks...No, REALLY Let us.

I like Thanksgiving.  I also like shopping.  And like many other people, I go out on Black Friday in search of good deals, unfortunately, I tend to buy stuff for myself in addition to other people.  Some years I find more good deals for me than Christmas gifts, but I digress...I've noticed more and more stores opening on Thanksgiving.  What is the deal with that?  I mean I know sometimes we can only take so much "family time," but Thanksgiving is a holiday.  I worked retail once upon a time and they only days you were guranteed to have off where I worked were: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter.  Now those poor employees can't even have Thanksgiving off?  Really?  I was at a store a few weeks ago and the woman who was ringing up my fiance said she wasn't celebrating Thanksgiving this year because she had to be at the store that night.  Now, that is depressing.  I know doctors, nurses, police officers, fire fighters, soldiers, etc have to work on holidays, but really do you have to make all the store employees go in on one of their few days off?  I hope they pay them well.  And I hope even those working folks managed to enjoy at least some portion of their Thanksgiving.   

No comments: