Monday, November 5, 2012

How Long Does it Take to Fix an Oven?

On Sept. 20th (yep, I'm a little behind) I started to make a dessert dish for a bachelorette weekend to be held that weekend at a friend's lake house.  I pre-heated the oven, mixed in all the ingredients, and put the Chocolate Crunch Brownies in the oven to bake.  I cleaned up and a few minutes later I was sitting in another room when I heard a loud popping sound.  My fiance and I tried to figure out what the noise was and after a few minutes realized it was the oven.  Strange we thought.  We tried to turn it back on, but no luck.  Yikes!  I'd heard stories of people's oven not working and fires resulting.  So I took a deep breath, remained calm, and hoped for the best--YEAH RIGHT.  I texted my mother who was all ready asleep (it was a little late to be baking) and got no response.  So I texted my uncle who as he puts it, rarely sleeps.  He told me to try the fuse box.  I did that, no luck.  He also assured me that since I had an electric oven and NOT a gas one, my oven was not likely to blow up, etc.  My fiance and I looked on-line at oven prices, I tried not to cry, and eventually we went to bed and I decided to do a crockpot appetizer instead of a dessert for the bachelorette party (which was a success).  Fast forward to a few days later:  my fiance talked to the guy who installed my dishwasher and had me set-up a time for him to come check out my oven.  In the mean time, he told us some things to try to see if the stove worked.  It did so bring on the pasta!  A few days later, the aforementioned man came over and said since the stove worked and the oven wasn't too old, I probably just needed a new part not a whole new oven.  So he agreed to order that and come by a few days later to install it.  In the mean time, the crockpot, quesadilla maker, toaster oven (who knew you could do chicken in a toaster oven?  Okay, maybe you did, but it was the first time I ever cooked chicken that way), and stove got some good use.  We did go out to eat a few times too.  And since I had promised to make some people apple bread, my parents were kind enough to let me use their oven one evening to make the bread. As planned, Mr. A showed up to install the new oven part as scheduled one Wednesday evening in early October.  Yay--or not.  The part wouldn't fit.  What?!  The man who ordered the part accidentally ordered him (and thus me) a part for a GAS stove, I have ELECTRIC.  So much for making that pumpkin bread that weekend.  He promised to put in a new order the next day, but he was going to be away for the holiday weekend.  Not a big deal, after I'd been ovenless for two weeks, what was another week at this point?  I wasn't going to be around that Tuesday so he said he could probably come by on Wednesday.  Unfortunately, Wednesday came and he wasn't there.  A few minutes past the time whe I thought he'd be there, I got a phone call informing me that the part hadn't come in yet.  He tracked it and it was in MA, but not at the store yet and was supposed to arrive in another day or so.  So he said he could install it Saturday after work.  I said that was fine, but at this point I was a little annoyed as 1.  I'd promised to make a birthday cake for a friend for Friday night and 2. Another friend was coming over on Saturday and I was going to make a nice meal and tell her all about Iceland because she was going there in a few weeks.  So it was back to Mom and Dad's on Thursday night where I baked whoopie pies and a birthday cake.  They weren't going to be home on Saturday so they said I could come by then and cook the chicken crescent roll casserole I was planning to make.  A normal person would have just done sandwiches or ordered out for pizza, but not me, I have to make things difficult.  The whoopie pies were good as was the cake (even though I dropped it on the way in to my friend's apt, but I saved most of  it), and so was the chicken (and then I had leftovers for a few days since I STILL had no oven).  Yep, Saturday evening came and no phone call, no oven, nothing so I called him.  No answer.  Weird.  I texted him a little later and oops, he'd left the part at the store.  Oh dear.  Get that crockpot back out.  Thankfully, on Wednesday evening, Mr. A came by after work (he got there before I did) and at last I had the correct part and a functional oven (and he even gave me a discount for the delay). Woohoo!  I was a baking queen that night:  brownies, pumpkin bread, baked shrimp.  So to answer the blog title: just under a month (about 27-28 days).

No comments: