Sunday, March 24, 2013

An Unintentional Cheat and A Semi-Legal Cheat

I didn't do it on purpose, but I had a nibble of chocolate on March 13th or 14th.  I was hosting a St. Patrick's Day party on March 15th and one of the (many) things I made were Irish chocolate balls.  Any time I bake a dessert for a party, I usually sample a small bite to make sure it came out okay.   I know that sounds a little ridiculous and possibly just an excuse to try a dessert and while there is SOME truth in that, I also do worry that things I make might not come out okay so I want to sample them to make sure they taste all right before I subject other people to them.  The exception to this being cake, it's kind of hard to take a bite out of a cake without it looking obvious so I just hope for the best with that.  Anyway, without really thinking too much about it, I cut a small piece off of one of the chocolate balls and started to chew it, when I remembered I wasn't supposed to be eating chocolate.  So I spit most of it out, but I can't guarantee I got it all (talk about a waste of good food).  Fast forward to my St. Patrick's Day party (look for a future blog on that later) and I was very well-behaved, NO chocolate for me.  Fast forward two more days to my family St. Patrick's Day party and I cheated.  Yep, I ate a chocolate ball and had a nibble of the Irish chocolate cheesecake.  I had granted myself an exception AND two people told me you can "cheat" on Sundays during Lent.  I'm not sure if that's true or not so I still felt slightly guilty.  Overall though, this is my best Lent ever.  I've never lasted this long when I tried to give something up for Lent.  I also found out, there are going to be THREE flavors of cake at the upcoming wedding so I may not need to use my third and final cheat that night.  :)  And in my defense when I said I was going to give up chocolate I DID say with three exceptions (food tasting, St. Pat's party, and friend's wedding).  Despite the fact that I've done well, I am kind of looking forward to Easter and being able to eat one of the brownies that are in my freezer, but that's a story for another blog. 

No comments: