Monday, April 8, 2013

More on Chocolate

I believe it was March 21st when someone brought me a plate of brownies as a gift.  In her defense, she did NOT know I had given up chocolate for Lent.  They looked SO good.  I gave a few to some people at work, shared some with my fiancé, and put the rest in the freezer.  It was so hard not to eat them, but I managed.  Unfortunately, the following weekend, my fiancé and I decided to go to a bridal show at the last minute and I ate ONE chocolate covered strawberry.  He said we'd just heard Sundays didn't count.  I'm still not sure if that's true so you could say I cheated again.  I was doing SO WELL too.  The night before Easter was the wedding I mentioned.  I had white cake with white frosting so no problems there.  However, I THINK one of the pastries I had from the pastry table had chocolate on it.  I say think because at that point the lights were dim so it was hard to see.  The pastry itself was not chocolate nor was the frosting, but there was a decorative design on top of the frosting and it looked brown to me, which I assume is chocolate.  So to sum up I did mostly well with the no chocolate, but not 100% well.  I had:  one chocolate ball, a taste of pie (I did say I might have to cheat on St. Pat's Day originally), a wedding pastry, a lick of frosting at the wedding food tasting (both of which I allowed in my original plan anyway), a chocolate covered strawberry, and possibly 1 M&M.  Yes, one.  See here's the thing, I had a white cupcake with white frosting that was shaped like a bunny.  The nose was an M&;M.  When I got home that night, I really couldn't remember if I ate the M&M or not.  I remember thinking oh, I better not eat the M&M, but I can't remember if I threw it away, left it on my plate, or accidentally ate it.  So I can't say I was completely successful this Lent, but I was more successful than any other Lent.  I even avoided the chocolate desserts at our work dinner at the end of March and passed up on several more brownies and cookies toward the end of Lent.  The Monday after Easter, I went a little crazy and broke into those previously frozen brownies.  In fact, all of last week, I ate kind of crappy so time to get back on track this week.  Well, with perhaps the exception of Saturday night...We're having company and I can't make the dessert I wanted to make because someone who is coming is allergic to peanut butter so my next choice was cheesecake, but someone coming does not like cheesecake so I think I might make this chocolate lasagna thing I saw on my friend's Pinterest.  We'll see how that goes.  Hopefully, there aren't many leftovers.  :-)    I might still make the cheesecake for everyone else because I'm slacking on my new recipes.  I should be in the high 30s by now and I'm only in the low 30s.  So if I do the chocolate lasagna and a new cheesecake that'll give me two.  My mother also just gave me a whoopie pie recipe book, oh, dear, this could get dangerous.  I'll keep you posted on which desserts I make in future blogs.  :-)

No comments: