Sunday, July 20, 2014

Wedding Planning: A Few Bumps Along the Road

They say when you plan a wedding, no matter how hard you try, something is going to go wrong.   In most instances people don't notice or it's something so small that the bride and groom notice, but no one else really does.  I guess the same goes for planning a wedding.  There will be problems, but in the end most of them have a way of working out.   So in tonight's blog I'd like to share a few of the problems we've had (besides trying to figure out the seating chart of course because most of my married friends have told me that's a pain so I'm going to just guess that is the norm, and actually
4-5--I've lost track, attempts later, it seems like we have a seating chart that will work). 

1.  Wedding Party Changes:  Quite a few months ago one of my bridesmaids had to excuse herself from the wedding because she is having a baby right around my wedding date.  Obviously, I was happy for her and understood.  She's still been a fabulous "honorary" bridesmaid and helped with my bachelorette party.  Since we had one more bridesmaid than groomsmen, I didn't worry about trying to find someone else to even things out.  But then two months ago one of my fiancé's groomsmen had to excuse himself from the wedding--he is not having a baby close to our wedding date ha ha.  My fiancé panicked a bit (shh don't tell him I told you that), but asked one of his friends if he would be willing to fill in.  His friend, Joe quickly said yes, and all was right with the wedding party again.  Joe was originally going to bring up the bread and wine at our wedding, but since we "promoted" him to groomsmen, it meant I got to ask my friend Natalie to do that instead.  She kindly said yes because she is awesome. 

2.  Flowers and Florists:  In May, we found out our florist's health wasn't good and he unfortunately had to excuse himself from doing our wedding flowers.  We understood and wished him good health, but I'll be honest I panicked a bit.  I hadn't really thought at all about flowers because he was taking care of everything.  It was someone we knew and that was going to be his wedding present to us.  I had sent him a few pictures--but truthfully, some of those pictures were stuff my friend Megan had found me (Megan rocks).  Our wedding package included centerpieces so it simply meant we would use their centerpieces and not get a credit for that so that part was easy enough, but I had NO clue on bouquets.  It also meant I now had 15-20 vases lying in my guest room that I didn't know what to do with because I wasn't sure another florist could use them.  Well, it turned out the florist who was doing our centerpieces, although not thrilled about it, was willing to use our vases--thank goodness because the 90 day return deadline had passed and I didn't know anyone in desperate need of 15-20 vases.  After a little digging around, it turned out one of my fiancé's groomsmen's girlfriend was  willing to do our flowers.  yay!  Thankfully, she has been very patient since I know so little about flowers. 

And finally (well for this post anyway)

3.  The Priest:  The priest who was supposed to marry us took a medical leave. No problem, the assistant priest can marry us.  On Monday I found out the assistant priest has been reassigned to another church.  No problem, the new priest will just marry us, right?  Right???  Well, when I was at church this weekend, I found out the new priest does not work on Fridays.  Did I mention my wedding is on a Friday night?!  I don't have a yay for this problem yet because it has not yet been resolved,  but I would think the church would find us someone, right???  We did pay them and sign a contract.  Perhaps God is trying to tell me something?   Do you think he's mad at me for all those weeks I did not go to church?

I'll keep you posted.  In the mean time you can look forward (or not) to blog posts on make up and my awesome friends.   :) 

No comments: