Saturday, August 6, 2016

Day 27 Delightful Downton

Day 27  I loved the tv show Downton Abbey.  I blame some of my co-workers.  They used to talk about it all the time and got me interested in it.  I ended up borrowing the first couple of seasons from someone and watching the later seasons on regular ol' tv.  Anyway, when I mentioned to my co-workers that I was going to be in London and CONSIDERING doing the day tour to Downton, they were all about it.  It was more than I wanted to spend, but they reminded me it was a rare opportunity.  How often do I really go to England?  Well, I guess technically, I've been twice in the past 2 1/2 years, but that's not typical.  So long story not quite as long, I booked a day tour to Highclere Castle.  The bus picked me up at 7:30 (mind you they said they'd be there at 7:35 so to be there at 7:30, I got there at 7:25 and they were all ready loading the bus, impressive timing).  Anyway, the bus took us to a bus station to meet up with everyone else--I guess they pick up from several spots then everyone congregates together and send people off on their various tours.  So we had about a half hour to wait.  I got to once again experience the joys of paying to use a bathroom er toilet or loo if you want to be British about it.  :-)  Then it was off to Oxford for a tour of part of the city and some free time to explore.  I used the free time to poke in a couple of shops and to purchase lunch at cafe in a book store.  I had a quiche, which was good, but I though it'd be warm. Oh, well.  I'm still not sure if they were supposed to heat it up and forgot or if it really should have been cold.  I finished a little early so I poked in the museum next to where the bus was picking us up for about 15 minutes since it was free.  Then we went to the village of Bampton for about 45 minutes to poke around.  We saw some of the places that were used in Dowton Abbey and peeked in a gift shop--I bough 4 postcards.  Took quite a few pictures.  Then it was about an hour ride to Highclere Castle.  You are not allowed to take pictures inside the castle so that's why you won't find any below.  Anyway, it was pretty cool to see the castle.  I enjoyed it.  Inside there is a mix of stuff from the show as well as things from the family that owns the castle.  It took under an hour to go through the castle and you don't see any of the servants' quarters so I spent the rest of the time visiting the gift shop and the beautiful gardens.  The flowers were so pretty--much better than my flowers ever do at home.  Then it was back on the bus to London.  I bought a sandwich at the hotel and had another quiet evening in--I also discovered Law and Order:  UK.  I was a big fan of the original Law and Order so of course I was intrigued by the UK version.


Oxford


 Bampton Village










Highclere Castle 
 










 (I'm still working on my selfie skils)



  Just because

No comments: