Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Day 30: The Lovely Lake District

Day 30 we got up earlyish, got ready, then drove to Karen's parents' house to drop off Wolfie.  We were going to be gone all day and Luke was at work.  Since Wolfie had been ill, Karen didn't want to leave him alone all day so her parents agreed to baby-sit er dog-sit.  We visited with her parents for a little while since I hadn't seen them since 2009.  Then we headed for the Lake District. Karen had taken me there briefly during my last visit on our way to Scotland, but we didn't have a ton of time to spend there so we both were happy to go again.  It was about a 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive.  We found a place to have lunch--since it was so nice, we enjoyed eating outside--then began our hike of Castle Crag.  We didn't go all the way up because of the time, but we went partway up one trail and down another.  We got some nice views.  A few times we strolled from the trail (but as Karen said we were on a trail, just not necessarily the traill).  It was a good work-out and besides nice views, I saw lots of sheep.  Then we drove through a couple of towns in the Lake District so I could see them and we made a brief photo stop at William Wordsworth's home.  After that, we drove back to Karen's parents' house for supper.  It was really good (salmon, potatoes, veggies, and an ice-cream treat for dessert).  I think they were a little disappointed that I still do not like tea, but they gave me a cider instead.  :-)    We chatted for a while after dinner, had a nice visit, then headed home.  It was pouring.  I have no idea how Karen managed to see.  I give her major kudos because it was that awful rain that you hate to drive in because you can barely see the roads.  At least it didn't rain while we were hiking.  Got home and were pretty tired so we soon went to bed.  And here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure.  















Still working on those selfies






No comments: