Friday, August 13, 2010

Andy Rooney, I Want Your Job

So I have a tendency to complain a lot. I can be happy, appreciative, etc, but I can also complain, especially about stupid things. When I was a kid, my Dad used to watch 60 Minutes every Sunday, I think he probably still does and at the end of the show Andy Rooney would appear on the screen and he would usually complain about something. I thought that would be a fabulous job for me. I could get paid to complain about random things. Mr. Rooney, when you retire, may I please have your job? How do you even make a resume' for that? I've had lots of experience complaining about life??? So to practice for the position I thought I would share a few random home-owner complaints. Nothing is easy.



1. As my friend Megan warned me (and I didn't belieive her, but she was totally right) people do not show up when they are supposed to. Eventually, they reschedule and life is peachy, but at the time it is frustrating.



2. Rusty toilets you've all ready heard about so I'll spare you.



3. The latest rusty thing--the screw on the washing machine hose so I couldn't change it.



4. My newly purchased box spring arrived on Friday afternoon, but it wouldn't fit up the stairs so the delivery man told me I had to order a split, which was $100 more expensive. Fine, I'll do it, but do you think it was as easy as going to the store to change my order? Oh, no, I had to go on-line, call several people, and I think it may finally arrive on Sunday...Here's hoping...



5. Getting moss off the roof; someone tried to get it off for me, but the roof is too steep and he nearly fell off the roof (how would you like to have that on your conscience). Thankfully, he just dropped the power-washer and not himself. Do you think it's easy to find someone to clean a roof? I've tried googling various things and there are about two people who do it, but the research is mixed. Power-washing a roof is bad some say, while others say it's okay. How do people know this stuff and why don't I? Where do you for for Roof 101?



6. Garbage disposals that work during the home inspection, but not when you buy the home. :(



7. Buying the amount of paint your painter tells you to buy only to find out it's too much and you can't return the extra can.



8. Seeing more cobwebs and dust in a week than a person should see in a life time (I think this has mostly been resolved now)



9. The insane amounts of money you spend at Home Depot/Lowes/Wal-Mart



10. Unintentionall painting the ceiling



So what do you think? Do I qualify for Mr. Rooney's job?