Wednesday, August 4, 2010

My Illegal Fan

So today as I write this blog, I am sitting in my new home hiding out, though by the time I actually post it, I likely won't be in here as I don't have internet access yet, though if I tilt just the right way sometimes I can accidentally pick up someone else's wifi and check my e-mail. It's kind of a weird feeling trying to stay out of other people's way in my own home. It's also weird to call it my own home as it hasn't completely sunk in. Perhaps when I have things like a couch, a bed, a substantial amount of food, etc. here and actually spend the night, it will feel more real. Right now it just feels like I place where I come for the day to do work like clean, paint, fix things, and unpack a few things or pay other people too much money to do work. As the place was a foreclosure and unoccupied for a while, it needed some repairs, including electrical repairs. Currently, the electrician is in my living room making my ceiling fan legal, yes, I said legal. When I had my home inspection, the inspector told me the ceiling fan was hung with an extension cord instead of a proper wire and thus violating a city code. As I said, it was a foreclosure so no one was going to fix it for me (I guess that's what the phrase sold as is means) so bring on the checkbook. While the electrician was working to legalize my ceiling fan, he discovered it was hung up via one screw. Yes, one. And the screw was okay, but it didn't look like it should be supporting a ceiling fan all by itself. I mean even light things are often hung up with two screws. He assured me that he would rehang it legally and with more screws (did that sound dirty? Get your mind out of the gutter.) Can you imagine if you were at my house-warming party and I was giving a tour: "Here is the bathroom, here is the kitchen (please don't look at the peach/pink spot on the ceiling), and now let's step into the living room and-CRASH, oh, my gosh, a ceiling fan just fell on your head?! Are okay?! Should I call an ambulance? Does my home-owners insurance cover that?" How would I explain that to your mom/dad/significant other/child/dog/police officer. "Yes, I'm sorry officer, apparently I had an illegal fan, oh, what do you mean it was being held up by only one screw? How would I know that? Isn't that lovely." Yes, not a conversation I would like to have so I'm glad to have a legal properly hung fan now, or at least in a few minutes. When my fan is legal, the electrician is going to fix a bathroom exhaust fan (when I turn it on, it sounds like a plane is getting ready for take-off, not pleasant though that will certainly wake me up in the morning), and put two gfi's in the kitchen. I did know about all of this stuff before I bought the place so no surprises there not like the chimney incident. I have to mention that as I was writing this, the electrician (who looks really familiar) told me that he had to move the fan over a little bit to hang it properly so I need to touch up a spot on the ceiling and you all know how much I "love" to paint. Speaking of paint, I hired someone to paint one of the bedrooms, the one that will likely become my master bedroom. He's a teacher (and my summer school boss) that has done painting on the side for 30 years so I'm thinking it should turn out okay, or at least better than how I paint. Here's hoping... So that's why I'm trying to stay out of everyone's way and hide in a corner with my computer and a book. I did do some cleaning earlier, but one can only do so much cleaning. It's getting there...

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I love any sort of large electrical appliance that is run on an extension cord. I hope you find out soon that your shower is run through a garden hose. Well, that would suck so not really.