Monday, August 2, 2010

Quest to Find an Arizona Souvenir



As I am a huge dork (and I completely accept this now), I wanted some form of souvenir from my Arizona trip. I had a couple of postcards, but I thought perhaps a Christmas ornament would be a good souvenir, then I could put it on the Christmas tree at my new place this year (yes, I have no furniture and I'm all ready thinking about Christmas trees, think there's something wrong with me? Don't answer that!). Natalie took me to a store, but we had no luck so she said she would have my baby-sitter aka her brother (I'll explain that one later) take me to get one the next day. Before I go all out on the souvenir quest, I have to explain what happened post-four course meal and this baby-sitter business. On Tuesday of my Arizona trip I was leaving for Las Vegas to visit a friend and Natalie, Michael, and Spencer were going to Vermont to visit family. Since their flight left eight hours before mine, Natalie asked her brother if he would baby-sit me for the day. She didn't actually ask him to baby-sit me, but for some reason I felt the need to refer to him as my baby-sitter since the poor guy had to take care of me for the day. I met him at the four-course meal and he turned out to be a good sitter. Anyway, I have to say that I LOVED that Natalie and Michael were packing from 10pm until midnight when they had to get up at 5am to get to the airport. I was very impressed because if I knew I had to get up in five hours and still had packing left to do I would be having a hissy fit so props to them. Anyway, after 5am hugs good-bye, it was back to sleep for me for a while then up again and off to Scottsdale with my baby-sitter aka Natalie's brother aka Nick and his cousin. There was some store he wanted to take me to that Natalie mentioned. Unfortunately, the gps in his phone did not do a very good job directing us. We kept driving and not getting there so we parked and walked around Scottsdale. Then he called the store only to find out they'd closed their store in Scottsdale several years ago, oops, hence why we couldn't find it. They did have another location in Phoenix (where we'd just come from) so we went back to Phoenix, found the store, and I found an ornament. It was marked down to $2.00 because it said 1999 on it, but I really didn't care about the year. The salesperson was very concerned about this, but I assured her I was perfectly content to buy an ornament that was eleven years old for $2.00. You can't get much for $2.00 these days so honestly, it was fine. Natalie later told me "it was meant to be" because that was the year we met. Aww (insert cheesy cute statement here) ) Following my souvenir purchase, we went to a museum at the Arizona capitol and I learned some Arizona history which I enjoyed because as I said I am a huge dork. History and English were my two favorite subjects in school. And in case you care, it was then off to an Irish pub for lunch and then to the airport, where I think the check in person thought I was a complete moron because I didn't understand him when he asked for my ID. Who doesn't understand that? See there were four people in front of me so I assumed he was talking to one of them and not me, only to find out they were all set, they were just waiting for a wheelchair or something so it really was my turn. I was like, huh what? Normal people have their ID out and ready to go when waiting to check in for a flight, but as I thought I still had four people to go, I didn't have it out yet and didn't think anyone would be talking to me yet. OOPS! However, when I comprehended what he wanted and when he found out I was going to Las Vegas he was my new bff and couldn't stop telling me to have fun, let my hair down, etc. Per usual I've babbled off topic again, but I suppose you should be used to that by now. I didn't take a picture of my new souvenir, but I did take one in the museum so I put that up instead. When I unpack, perhaps an ornament picture will go up. :)

2 comments:

Natalie said...

It was quite interesting for me to read about the part of your Arizona trip to see me that I missed. I'm glad my brother was kind helply. I won't kick his ass the next time I see him.

Cat said...

Yes, he was lovely. Please tell him I said thank you!