Monday, September 6, 2010

All I Can Say is Wow

I had my first ikea experience yesterday. Wow! Four of us went. Two of us (including me) had never been before. I figured we'd be there for a little while, not all afternoon (I believe we were there for four hours, plus an hour drive down and an hour drive back). Good thing today was a holiday. I had no idea that place was so big. When we got there, I just looked in the area where we were standing and said, Wow. Before we could shop though, we had lunch as it was nearly 2:00 and we were all starving. In case you didn't know, they have a restaurant in ikea! The food was pretty good too. I would never think of eating lunch at a furniture store. Who knew! At lunch, my friend Hal told me the store is the size of four football fields. You all know how indecisive I am, can you imagine me trying to make decisions about things in a store that big. I found tons of stuff I liked, but since my original intention in going there was to get a bookcase (and well, to see what all the hype was about), I am proud to say that I narrowed it down to three bookcases. When it came to decision time, I think one of the people with me wanted to kill me because I kept debating between two, but I finally picked one. Now if I could just get it set up...Perhaps, that'll be next week's project. I also found a chair I liked, at least I liked it until I saw the price. Then I decided it best to wait on the chair until I win the lottery. We wandered around some more (the people with me were also recent home-buyers) looking at things we liked and I thought that was about it, when I remembered there was a whole other floor to explore. Lamps, dishes, rugs, pictures, oh, my. I liked too many lamps so instead of getting all 85 that I liked, I didn't get any because I couldn't decide. I got a couple of small things for the kitchen and was indecisive on the pictures so I skipped those too. I am so excited that I now have a place to put my 8000 books, well, at least I will when it's set up and knowing how "handy" I am, there may be a future blog about that coming. Oh, and I haven't forgotten to blog about the mysterious piece of furniture in my living room, but my camera is temporarily M.I.A. Actually, I believe I know where it is, but it's not here and will be (I hope) tomorrow. All for now and cheers to ikea, all four football fiels of it. :)

5 comments:

jess said...

i have a love/hate relationship with ikea. i love almost everything there. most of their prices are super, SUPER reasonable, but then every once in a while, something will cost 300 million dollars. also, i feel like anything they have with cushions (couches, chairs etc) are not very comfy. but i love their book cases/entertainment centers/art/doo-dads/rugs/lamps etc etc etc!
i HATE ikea because it is GIGANTIC and i always go with robert and we are there for about a week at a time. thank god they have the food court or i would never make it out alive. also, did you have a cinnamon bun? holy hell, super delicious!!

Natalie said...

I'm glad you discovered Ikea. I'm sad it wasn't with me when you were here.

You are going to rue the day you ever bought an Ikea bookshelf. They are a pain in the ASS to assemble. Once it's done though you will love it.

Cat said...

Jess, I saw the cinnamon rolls as we were leaving so I didn't get one. :( They looked good though. I did try a fabulous piece of chocolate cake with lunch though...Natalie, ugh, I am dreading putting the bookcase together.

jess said...

i am literally a professional ikea furniture builder. it's totally true. will work for cinnamon buns!!

jess said...

PS you should also ask megan about being at ikea while not sober! :P