Thursday, September 9, 2010

No, I Do NOT Think I'm Cooler Than You

I've never been the most up-to-date with technological toys. I didn't have a DVD player until I was in college or grad school. My VCR worked just fine so why bother getting a DVD player. (Actually, the only reason I got one was because I wanted some movies for Christmas and my mom couldn't find them on video any more so she bought me a DVD player and DVDs). I had the same cell phone for years and it was getting outdated when I got it. I had no desire to get rid of it, but I finally gave in to peer pressure. The one I have now is probably "antique," but it still works so I see no need to upgrade. So I guess it shouldn't be surprising that in a world where CDs are going out of style, I had to pull out my CDs the other day. Now I do have an i-pod (only b/c it was a birthday or Christmas gift a few years ago) and this year I bought an i-touch because my friend Megan had one when we went to Alaska and I thought it was cool and would come in handy when I traveled (which it did this summer). It also came in handy in July when I was painting so instead of listening to myself screaming "How did I get paint on the ceiling? Why do I suck at painting? Will I ever feel settled?" I could hear some nice music. My car does not have Sirius (sp?), XM, or any of those things. I've got the regular radio/CD player that comes with the car. I also don't have any way to plug my i-pod into my car, which normally suits me just fine. I can get plenty of stations and I usually don't have too far to drive. Well, on my way home from work earlier this week, that song, "You Think You're Cooler Than Me" came on the radio. I'm not sure I was a big fan of that song, but since I now seem to hear it EVERY TIME I'm in my car, I'm sick of it and if I ever did tolerate that song, I can't stand it now. So when I heard that song for the second time that day, I switched from one station to another and it was playing on that station too! Do I have to put on country or olides to avoid it? I actually did try the country station, but it was a commerical. Hence where the CD comes in. Since most of you read Jess' blog, you may remember her mentioning Circles in the Sand a while back. That inspired me to dig out an old Belinda Carlisle CD when I was packing to move and I put it my car CD player since I had not heard that song in YEARS. And it was still there yesterday, thank goodness! So now in addition to having the cooler than me song stuck in my head, it is mixing with Circles in the Sand. Perhaps I could mix them together and make my own song, ha ha.

1 comment:

jess said...

omg, thank you for getting that song stuck in my head AGAIN!! ha ha! was that payback for the post that gave you weird dreams?!
i am so anti "terrestrial" radio for this very reason. they play the same songs all day, i can NOT deal with static and they play 2 songs then go to commercials for 45 minutes... yuck.
also, if you are considering an FM transmitter to use your ipod in the car, might i suggest NOT DOING IT. they are static, static static. and if someone else has one and they drive by your car, guess what you're listening to? (hint: it's not circle in the sand)
so yeah... radio is out. belinda is IN!